22 April 2020

Chap. 174 Robe and a Haircut

Chap. 174 Robe and a Haircut

Raventh landed in Landing's dragon meadow. K'ndar's team was right behind him.

"What was THAT?" K'ndar heard the rescued boy exclaim. F'mart had dismounted and began to unbuckle the boy's harness.The boy's face was grim.

"THAT? That was 'between', F'mart said, chuckling.

"It was so cold, and black! I thought I was dead," the boy said.

"Sorry. I should have warned you. But here we are, at Landing, in just a few heartbeats. Far faster than any boat, what?"

The boy nodded, shivering. "A lot colder, though. It's so cold here," he said.

F'mart helped the boy down from Kenth. The boys legs had stopped bleeding, but they still didn't work right. It took the boy several moments to regain his balance.

"My legs…they feel so light, now, like I'm on a cloud!"

"I believe it. You're cold, probably because we're further south than your island, and you haven't a stitch on," F'mart said. He still couldn't bring himself to do anything more than glance at the boy's wounds. Sheesh, the chains must have grown right into the flesh. I hope he put those chains on TIGHT on that bastard Shipfish. If I'd seen that earlier, I think I would have beaten him senseless.

"My clothes, they all rotted off, even my boots. Will…can I have some clothes? It's so cold here," he repeated.

"Not to worry, lad, the folks here will see to it that you're cleaned up, clothed, fed and whatever you want or need," F'mart said.

"Is this where you live?" the boy asked, looking around. It was so different from the island..no palm trees. The ocean was nowhere near. The relative silence sounded so strange.

The other men gathered around him.

"No," F'mart said, "We live at Kahrain Steppe Weyr. This is 'Landing'. It's where the colonists first landed and set up homes. See those buildings over there? That's where you'll be living, I think, although I don't know which one. I'm sure they'll show you around. Don't worry, you can't get lost, it's a big place but fairly easy to get around," he said.

The boy seemed to shrink. He went pale underneath his deep tan and dirty face.

"You're leaving me here? By myself?" he asked, his fear showing.

It has to be a shock, D'mitran thought, to go from a tiny tropical island, where one was virtually alone and a prisoner, to Landing where he's going to see dozens if not hundreds of people-and all of them strangers.

"Um…yes," D'mitran said, "See, no one expected to find you on that island. It's why we were sent, because Shipfish attacked K'ndar, here, yesterday, and as you well know, he wasn't supposed to be there," he said. Everyone thought the island was uninhabited. Now we know it was not. People are going to be asking you what happened, how it came about that you were there."

K'ndar could feel the fear emanating from the boy.

"Don't worry," he said. "I can imagine how you feel, you've been on that island for how long? And suddenly you're here. I bet you can hardly believe you were rescued. You were so smart, to call us down from the sky! I know you don't know a soul here, even us, we're strangers to you. I know if it were me, I'd be terrified. But the people here are friendly. They want to know what happened, how you came to be on the island, and I promise you, whatever you want, they'll give it to you," he said. He hoped the first thing would be a bath.

B'rost said, "They'll clean up your legs. A healer will talk to you, I think, then you'll get a good meal and a bunk to sleep in."

"A bunk…I've not slept in a bunk in forever. I've not had a bath or a haircut forever. I want it all, but do I have to stay here?"

K'ndar could see a few people approaching them. One had a robe. That was smart, because there was a nip in the air, despite it being almost noon.

"I think, given what you've gone through, you'll get all that. As for now, I think the best place for you is right here. But don't be afraid! I'm sure that, once these people have fixed you up, and talked to you, they'll ask YOU what and where YOU want to go. Take your time thinking that through, please? They'll be very good to you, I promise. I know plenty of people here, and they're all nice,"K'ndar said.

D'mitran could see the doubt on the boy's face. He was afraid, no doubt, and managing it as best as he could. To distract him, he asked, "How old are you?"

That stumped the boy for several moments. He unconsciously scratched his head. His fingers disappeared in the mass of ropes that was his hair.

"I can't remember," the boy said. "I was nine when the big fireball hit. It was so bright, so loud! It went right over our heads! And then it hit the sea and all of a sudden, this giant wave came from all around, it picked up our ship. We were on top of it, then we broached to and the masts came down on top of us. The rigging went over the side and almost dragged us under! The wave carried us like we were nothing. It went FAST. But the ship, she still managed to get us through the reef onto the rocks. How many Turns has it been? Since that big fireball?"

"That happened a little over four years, Turns, ago. So that would make you 13," B'rost said, trying hard to ease his transition from island to Landing. It was a big change, and sudden. He felt so bad for the boy.

Oh, his legs. They looked like withered, twisted sticks. Lad, you should have done more to Shipfish than just chain his legs. I wouldn't have blamed you if you tried to club him to death. Maybe I SHOULD have stuck that monster a couple times with his own spear. Don't know what I'll do with it, but I'll be shaffed if I was going to leave it with him. Hope he starves to death, he thought.

"Hello, hello!" the group's leader said. The boy quailed and sidled behind F'mart. F'mart looked embarrassed.

One of them, a woman, followed him and handed the boy a robe.

"What is this?" he asked, nervously.

"It's a robe. Put it on, I imagine you're a bit cold right now," she said, kindly.

"I am…but..well, thank you," he said. He put it on. She could see he had never worn a robe before. "Here," she said, bending down to help him with the belt, "pull the ends tight to close the robe, and tie a knot in it to keep it closed."

He obeyed, his fingers never having lost their knowledge in tying knots. The group went silent for a moment, aghast when the belt went around his torso twice. He was withy thin.

"That feels good," he said, appreciating the warmth.

A man looked at him, his eyes expression unfathomable. "Hello, there. I'm Marl. I'm the Master Healer here at Landing. I would like to examine you, if I may, talk to you about what you've been through. But I have to ask you, what would you like first?"

The boy's eyes were glazed. "Ex…amin?"

"It means that I’m going to check your physical condition. I can see, for instance, that your legs have been injured. I can clean them up, put numbweed on them if they hurt, heal them up for you."

"This is all…it's all so.."

The woman laughed. "I imagine it's overwhelming, right now, after all you've been through. Tell you what, how about a hot bath, then maybe a haircut? What would you like?"

"Cut this hair off NOW," the boy said.

"Right here and now?"

"Yes. It's heavy. It stinks. It's hot. It gets tangled up all the time. I've not had a haircut since before we wrecked," he said, exasperated.

"But, I don't know how to cut hair," she said.

"Who has a knife? I'll cut it off myself," he said.

F'mart grinned. "Here, lad, I have a knife, I'll cut it off but don't blame me if it comes out looking ragged."

"I don't care what I look like, I just want it off. Then, I think I'd like a bath? And something to eat?"

"We can do that," the Healer said. He looked at F'mart.

"Alright, lad, stand still. Here goes your hair," he said.

It took a lot longer, with more effort, than he would have guessed.

"Woof, this is like cutting through wet rope," he said. He couldn't help but pull the boy's scalp, but the boy stood steadfast and silent. "This is what it must feel like to shear a sheep," he said, grunting with the effort. But the knife was sharp, and in a little while, a pile of hairy ropes lay at their feet.

"Thank you. Thank you," the boy said, "I feel like I've lost ten kilos."

"We'll get you a decent haircut later. So, off we go, to the bathing pool. It's nice and warm, I promise, with plenty of sweet sand," the woman said. She took his hand and turned away from the men.

He pulled his hand away and looked at the dragonmen.

"Aren't you coming with me?" he asked, his face ashen.

The four dragonriders were stunned.

"Um…well, no, to be honest, we had nothing planned in the way of a rescue. I'm sorry," K'ndar said. "But it's not as if we are just dumping you!" K'ndar said, feeling suddenly guilty of abandoning the boy, "Me, D'mitran and B'rost, we all have to report to the Council and Flight Ops. Then we're going back to our Weyr to do the reporting all over again to our Weyrleader."

"But not all of you?" he begged.

"Ummmmm," K'ndar stammered.

"Even F'mart? F'mart, are you going too? Can't you stay here? I don't know anyone else," he pleaded.

"Me? Stay here?" F'mart was gobsmacked. The boy had ridden behind him on Kenth as the bronze dragon had incinerated the wrecked ship. He'd not paid a bit of attention to the boy then, fully engrossed and fully enjoying the forgotten thrill of his dragon breathing fire. But now, it seems the boy had bonded to him.

He was annoyed, not wanting the responsibility of a boy. He wanted to go home to the Weyr and enjoy replaying the fight with Shipfish, and his dragon's burning the ship in his mind, maybe have some ale, enjoy the rest of the day, and tomorrow was rest day.

But the fear and uncertainty in the boy's eyes was impossible to ignore.

He looked at D'mitran for rescue, his eyes rolling.

D'mitran, trying to hide his amusement and failing, said, "What does your team leader say?"

Oh, that's right, K'ndar was team leader today. He looked at K'ndar.

K'ndar sighed. Again, an unexpected twist to this entire action! I was perfectly happy with D'mitran taking over when I was fumbling. I am NEVER going to lead another action, no matter how glorious it may be, he thought. I'm just not cut out for this. But right now, F'mart needs to see that the boy needs him.

He summoned up every bit of leadership he had to make F'mart see the need. Submit, F'mart. Yield.

"You have nothing on the duty roster until late next week, F'mart," he said, thanking the stars that M'rvin had insisted he check the duty roster before recruiting. "It's apparent this lad has found a friend, a supporter, in you. If you would like to stay here, to reassure this rescued boy, I'm sure our Weyrleader will approve. If necessary, I can fill in for you should a task come up with your name on it, and I'll brief him on your part of the rescue. I'm sure he'll be happy to wait for your after action report when you return to the Weyr."

That wasn't what F'mart wanted. But the boy's eyes were desperate and beseeching. He was afraid, F'mart could see, and was trying manfully to keep it from consuming him. But shaff it, he didn't want to hang around here.

He's a good human. He had no idea what between was, but he trusted us. He's like a hatchling, he looks to you after Impression. Kenth, his dragon, said.

He's not MY hatchling. I really would rather not. It's just too much, I have things I want to do.

Kenth was quiet for a moment. Then he said, in a strange tone of voice,

Did you know it hurt him while riding me?

No. It hurt him?

I could feel it. His legs. They were useless, there was no strength in them. It felt as if he couldn't spread them wide enough. He almost fell off at one point.

Oh, noooooo. If he'd said something, I wouldn't have..I would have told you to go easier when flaming the ship. The poor kid. He never said a thing.


I DID go easy. I could feel him gripping the harness so tightly, it was because his legs, he wasn't gripping my sides. It hurt him. So I balanced him as well as flame the ship. He is very brave. He is trying very hard to not show his fear.

I'm..not ready to be a father figure to him. I don't want the responsibility.


Kenth was silent for a moment, then hissed in a tone dripping scorn and venom.

It is time you stopped thinking like a Weyrling. It is time you started to think beyond just you for yourself Kenth admonished.

F'mart was shocked. He'd never heard his dragon speak like this.

Bronze dragons are alpha, dominant over all others save the golds. Other dragons look to us. Like my brothers here: Careth. Raventh. Rath. They look to me for guidance. They do not question me, because I am a bronze. They trust me to look after them, to lead them, to make the decisions they aren't capable of doing.

This human. He didn't tell you it hurt to ride on my back. He trusted you, he knew without thinking that it would hurt to ride me, but he chose to trust you to make it right. He trusted you to punish that human. He trusted you because you ride a bronze, and bronze riders are LEADERS. Other humans look to bronze riders to make decisions they aren't able to make.

There is something about him that is unusual. There is greatness in him. Maybe he will ride a bronze someday. Like you. So do right by him. If nothing else, do it for me. Because I chose YOU, remember. The moment I hatched and my eyes met yours, I chose YOU, because I thought there was greatness in you.


Kenth was silent for a heartbeat, then thundered,

Was I mistaken?

F'mart's guts turned to water.

No, no, but it's not what you think. I'm …

I believe the word is 'selfish'. I ask again, did I err when I chose you? Should I have chosen someone else to be my partner? Kenth said.

Shame…a feeling he'd never felt before…flooded his mind. Alongside it was terror.

No. No. You are right. I am selfish. Again. You didn't make a mistake.

Make it right by this human. Do the right thing.


F'mart was glad no one could hear this conversation. He sighed. Even his dragon. Shaming me into submitting to what, the unavoidable?

Someone has to do it. No human can get to you in the way I can. Trust me. I am right.


Oh, what the shaff, it's not forever. It's a nice place, Landing. Lots to do here, he thought.

He shrugged and said, "Sure, kid. I'll stay here, keep an eye on you," he said, trying to sound as if it had been his idea all along. The others didn't buy it.

The boy smiled, for the first time, his eyes flooding with gratefulness.

"Thank you, F'mart. Thank you," the boy said.

"Right then, now that you have a sponsor, let's go to where I can fix you up," said the Healer.

"Can you, will you fix my legs?" the boy asked. "The chains. They made it so that I can't walk very far, and I can't spread them wide, like F'mart does on his dragon. Can you make it so that I can walk, like normal? Maybe even run again?"

His words ripped holes in everyone's heart.

The Healer's face melted with sympathy.

"I can try. It's called physical therapy. If you work with me, we can probably get you fixed up good as new," he said.

"I can work. I will. I want to be able to walk right again," the boy said.

K'ndar fought his tears. He knew he wasn't alone.

"Come with us, then, um, what is your name, lad?" asked the Healer.

The boy straightened up, proudly.

"It's been so long since anyone called me by my name. I'm Harve. I'm out of Nerat, of the ship We're Here"

1 comment:

Broompuller said...

A very cool story. I like the interaction of Kenth and F'mart.