22 October 2020

Chap. 206 Philosophizing

Chap. 206 Philosophizing


As they climbed for altitude prior to going between, K'ndar realized he'd never flown this close to a gold dragon. Accustomed to the whuhwhuhwhuh of Raventh's beating wings as he searched for a thermal, K'ndar heard a deeper, baser note, almost a soft 'boom' from Mirth's enormous wings. Even with a couple of wing lengths between them, he was impressed, as always, at how big a gold dragon was. Mirth wasn't as big as the planet's primary queen, Ramoth, but she was almost twice Raventh's size.


The air was cooling as they climbed, making him glad for his riding jacket. His butt, though was warm, with his legs wrapped around Raventh's warm neck. It wasn't the same as riding a horse, yet it was in that he instinctively cued his dragon with his knees.


How is the weight? he asked. Raventh had two wagon hubs, made of iron, strapped one to each side. Each was separated from his skin by a stout piece of leather.


Not bad. Well balanced. I'm glad Mirth insisted on carrying the axles, when we brought them from the cothold, I had to be very careful to not get them tangled in my legs. I wouldn't want them hitting me on my sides, but on her they ride below. She says they weigh nothing but I know better. They're heavy.


K'ndar laughed in his mind. She is being brave. Like all dragons. No matter, we'll go between here in a bit.


Here it is. I was wondering if I'd miscalculated where the thermal was. Mirth has to work harder to soar, she is bigger than me.


A LOT.


Raventh laughed.


He leveled off and allowed his wings to slow, as the thermal carried them effortlessly skyward. K'ndar loved soaring, it seemed miraculous that they could stay airborne with just the slightest effort. Sometimes the updrafts were so strong that Raventh could completely stop flapping his wings.

Mirth continued flying, angling away from Raventh so as to not cut off the uprising warm air. Then, with an appreciative rumble, she found an especially strong updraft and eased her wing beats.


Far above them, K'ndar heard the shrill cries of soaring birds. He looked up and saw the raptors circling in the sunlight, enjoying the same thermals they were in. Someday, he thought, I'd like to take a closer look at them. The books have very little on them other than to say they're predators that are very shy of humans.


Next time I see them, he thought, I'll send Siskin up to meet them.


Siskin sent him a very strong feeling of denial.


Siskin? Afraid?


The blue turned to look at him from his perch on Raventh's withers. Clearly insulted, Siskin's eyes roiled orange.


No. He is not afraid of them Raventh said. He is being....


K'ndar felt Raventh rummaging around in his head, looking for the exact word. Even after all this time, it still felt odd. He could tell, too, when the brown dragon found what he was looking for.


...cautious. He is being careful. The raptors are smart and they have been known to attack flying fire lizards Raventh said.


Abashed, K'ndar reached out to stroke his indignant fire lizard's head.


"Sorry, Siskin!" he said.


The fire lizard looked him in the eye, then he felt a wave of what could only be forgiveness.


"Well, K'ndar, are you going to call 'between'?" Siena, his Weyrwoman, called, shattering his reverie.


"What? Me?" he called back, shocked. I'm just a brown rider, I don't give orders to the Weyrwoman!


"Yes, YOU. You're sweep leader."

His thoughts scattered.


"Uh...I'M sweep leader? Ma'am, you're my Weyrwoman, I can't give you...um, I can't tell you..uh..."


Siena laughed. From this angle he could see, how small she looked on the back of her queen dragon.


"K'ndar, YES, you're sweep leader. I've not only never led a sweep, I've never been ON a sweep. Being a gold rider makes it so that, yes, I'm Weyrwoman, but I'm also "too valuable" to be spending time sweeping. It's like being a bird in a cage. Sometimes it gets old. So, yes. Once we finish up with Lord Dorn, we're going on the sweep. And being that I am Weyrwoman and thus, outrank you, I'm saying, today, you're allowed to give me an order. As long as this first one takes us to Singing Waters. After that, I'm at your command."


He gulped. Sheesh, he hadn't bargained for this.


So...what are we waiting for? Although this is a fine day for flying Raventh said.

Look how graceful Mirth is now that she's soaring.


Okay.


"Yes, ma'am, but...okay," he called back, hoping he sounded more confident than he felt.


"Pretend you're D'mitran," she called, laughing.


Hearing his wingleader's name gave him courage. Pretend I'm D'mitran. Okay.


"Singing Waters coordinates in your mind?"


"Yes, Wingleader!" she called.


That thrilled him.


"On my mark, three, two, one, between!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Siena handed him another surprise. Once they'd turned over their cargo to Lord Dorn's men, K'ndar was fully prepared to rejoin the dragons in the meadow set aside for them to await his Weyrwoman.


But no. Siena turned to walk towards the Hold's main doors, then stopped and looked at him, expectantly.


"Well, K'ndar, coming?"


"Um...with you?"


"Of course, who else? Yes, you must accompany me. Lord Dorn specifically asked for you," she said.


Me? I'm just...K'ndar. I'm nobody.


"Uh...ma'am, he already knows we're bringing the wagon parts, there's no need for me to..."


Her eyebrows arched and he got the distinct impression that she was going to order him.


"K'ndar. Being a dragonrider entails more than just doing every day tasks such as sweeping or transporting. It never hurts to learn how to move amongst the...um, 'upper levels of Pern society'. Now come along, Lord Dorn is waiting," she said.


He'd never been in a Holder's home before. Like so many newer residences on Southern, Lord Dorn's had initially been built into the remains of a long extinct volcano, but, like their Weyr, also had wooden portions. Set on stone pilings, the Hold had a porch quite like the Harper Hall that had been built for Pern's Master Harper, Robinton. They were designed to allow the cool winds easy access during the warm, dry summers.


He was awed by the sumptuousness of the place. The main doors, opened for them by an elderly drudge, were of wood with intricate carvings. Inside, the walls bore lovely tapestries. K'ndar thought he recognized the handiwork of his friend, Terilyn. If so, he knew they were expensive, and Dorn had several. There was furniture as well as rock couches. A central fire pit gave off just enough heat to take the nip out of the air. High above, a multi bladed fan circled gently, powered by solar panels. It wafted away what little smoke was coming from the fire pit.


Lord Dorn approached them.


"Welcome, Weyrwoman Siena, and hello again, K'ndar! Thank you for coming." Lord Dorn said.

K'ndar was swept with a feeling of humility. He'd grown up with the knowledge that this man...and his father before him, had been the absolute master of the ground he'd walked on.


A cotholder lived on the Holder's approval, and banishment was always a possibility if one pissed the nobleman off. Even though Lord Dorn was known to be a fair and kindly man, he also was one who brooked no nonsense.

K'ndar remembered how close his father, who'd been cheating on Lord Dorn's rightful tithe, had brought the entire family to the brink of banishment.


Even though he was officially no longer under Lord Dorn's dominion, still, K'ndar could not help but feel submissive.


"My Lord, it is my pleasure" he said, bowing his head slightly. Siena caught his eye. It held approval.


A drudge approached them with a silver tray bearing finely made goblets.


"Won't you try my wine, Siena? K'ndar?"


K'ndar gulped. How to tell his secret? That he was allergic to alcohol? Did he even have the words for it? Did you snub a Lord Holder's generosity?


Something is wrong? Raventh asked.


Raventh, tell Mirth to tell Siena I cannot drink wine he said, hurriedly.


Raventh sent a silent acknowledgment.


Once again, I so appreciate being able to communicate without words, he thought.


Within seconds, Siena smiled. "My Lord, if you don't mind, K'ndar is my sweep leader and therefore, on duty. I'm sure you'll understand if he foregoes your wine?"


Lord Dorn nodded. "I understand. K'ndar, will klah do?"


He nodded, remembering just in time to respond verbally. "Thank you, my lord, klah would be perfect."


The drudge poured klah from a small carafe into a mug. K'ndar took it and sipped. "Thank you," he said to the boy.


Siena took one of the finely crafted goblets. "This is very fine workmanship, my Lord Dorn, where is it from?" she said, turning it to admire the work.


Lord Dorn smiled. "I've gained a glassmith recently. Apparently my river has 'perfect' sand for this sort of glass work," he said. He was obviously waiting for Siena to take a sip.


She did.


Her eyebrows rose in appreciation.


"By the egg, Lord Dorn, where is this wine from? It's very nice. Just the right blend of ...oh, I haven't the words! But it's not a Benden, nor a Tillek. It's...yours?"


Dorn laughed, genuinely happy at her reaction.


"Aye, it's mine. Several years ago, one of my cotholders was able to get vines from Tillek AND Benden. All legally, of course. Tillek and Benden both cull their vines from time to time, and rather than see them burned or allowed to die, she took them. She was working with her family up North, working at both Tillek and Benden. She grew up doing the grunt work of wine growing and making. She learned the trade from those masters. She said she'd spent days tending vines, and came up with the idea of crossing Tillek with Benden plants. She mentioned it to both wine masters. Can you believe it, neither one would even hear of it. They were more than happy to be rid of what they considered substandard stock," he said.


Siena laughed. "I don't doubt it all, my lord," she said, "but I don't consider this wine to be substandard."


"Nor do I. The woman is a genius. Bringing in new blood to the stock works for wine as well as horses!


When she petitioned me for a small cothold, wanting only to see if crossing the two lines would produce something drinkable, I was about to say no. I know nothing about winemaking. My wife has more brains than I, she insisted I 'give her a chance!!" I'm glad I listened to her!


It worked out quite nicely, the woman asked for a barren hillside that had never been suitable for grazing OR crops. It is sandy soil mixed with volcanic dust, but well watered. She put it to good use. She proved up on it by crossing those vines and tending to them like a mother hen tends to her chicks.


She couldn't really tithe for several years, but-that's how wine growing goes. If the wine was no good, we can still use vinegar, what? She was putting 'useless' land to good use. After several years, she finally got a harvest that would allow for casking. This is the from that first casking, and she's as good a vintner as she is a farmer. It's been in the cask for three years."


Siena couldn't help but smack her lips in appreciation.


"My Lord, I'll have to put in a request for at least a cask of this. It is VERY good," she said.


"That can be arranged, but not this year, I'm afraid. This was, you understand, an experiment," he said. "The harvest was quite small. It will take some time for the plants to grow," he said.


Siena nodded. "It came out very nice. You have a name for it?" she said.


Lord Dorn sipped his wine.


"I'm on the horns on that. "Dorn" just doesn't do it justice, nor does it have a ring. I'm open to suggestions," he said.


Siena nodded. "I have an idea, but it's...it's on the tip of my tongue, along with the wine, but I just can't make it come out!"


Dorn laughed. "Aye, I know the feeling," he said. He turned to K'ndar.


"I'm assuming you brought the branding iron?" he said.


"Yes, my Lord," K'ndar said, "When we landed, several of your men were waiting, one of them is, I believe, your metalsmith. He took possession of the iron as well as the axles and hubs from the wagon. By your leave, sir, Harlan, my Weyr's metalsmith, says they were not cast here on Southern. I thought you'd want them as well as the branding iron," he said.


Lord Dorn nodded. "Thank you. You're right, I did want all the parts that were still usable. We'll find out who made them, and where that wagon came from. Now, K'ndar, if you would excuse us, I do have some business with Weyrwoman Siena. If you're hungry, you're more than welcome to have something to eat in my dining hall. It's just down that hallway," Lord Dorn said.


"Thank you, sir, but I think I'll just head back out to the dragons," he said.


Making his way towards the dragons, K'ndar was quite happy at being released.


No matter how well trained he'd been in protocol, no matter that he was an emancipated dragon rider, and though he had no words for it, he still lived in a feudal society. He felt uncomfortable when dealing with the "upper levels" of Pern. Whenever he did, he always felt as if there was a sword hanging over his head, ready to drop at the slightest misstep in societal behavior.


I much prefer the company of ordinary folk, like Oscoral, or Linea, or Lizard, he thought. With people like them...like me! I don't have to always be careful with what I say or do. With Lord Holders, it's like walking on eggs. I'm always wondering if I say something they take offense at, will I lose my head? How is that some people on Pern live in such luxury and others have to make do with a hovel, one owned by someone else? How is it that one person, like Lord Dorn, can hold such power over another? How can a man own a river? Were the Ancients like this, one person higher ranking than another, being given power over another?


Somewhere back in his mind, his father's face arose. It was full of resentment and he was saying something, not fair? .....shards, it was gone.


He shook his head. I hate it when that happens, he thought. I don't miss Hanliss. Stay out of my head.


If I weren't a dragonrider, I'd still be nothing but the brother of a cotholder, a herdsman, bound to Lord Dorn. I'd have been like Mardriss, a grown man on his knees before Lord Dorn, begging forgiveness for the wrongs our father willingly committed. I'm lucky, he thought, lucky that I live in a Weyr, where everyone is the same. No one is 'better' than another, even when they outrank me. There are no smaller people there.


But there are Raventh said.


What?? K'ndar was surprised that Raventh had been listening, even though he listened always.


The humans you call drudges. They are smaller than you. You don't have to treat them like you treat Siena or M'rvin. Some humans treat drudges like they were beasts. You do not but it is because you are kind.


His dragon's insight was like a silent explosion. He was awestruck at his astuteness.



I didn't know you paid attention to that.


Of course I do. I'm in your head, aren't I?


And my heart. You have given me a big think to think K'ndar said, using Raventh's words for philosophizing.


Just don't do it when we go to sleep. Go talk to the big man when we get home.


K'ndar grinned in his mind.





 

No comments: