15 March 2021

Chap. 247 The Backpack

Chap. 247 The Backpack


Do I open it here?


He regarded the soaking wet backpack at his feet.


At the same time, he began to feel odd. His mind was fuzzy and he felt tired, as if he'd run a horse race with the horse on his back.


And lost, he thought.


Oh. I bet the time zone cure is wearing off?


I need to return the gear Captain Sheila lent me before they leave.


Yes. The wind has shifted and is picking up right now. Our timing was perfect Raventh said.


_________________________________________________________________


"It worked?" said the Sea Dragon's first mate.


"Like a charm! The idea of the flotation ring was brilliant, if it had been a stick, like I'd planned, we'd never have picked it up," K'ndar said. "Is Captain Sheila aboard?"


"No, she's finishing up with the bills, and soon as she returns, we're weighing anchor," the man said. He unconsciously was coiling the line up in his hands.


"Okay. Tell her...and this goes for you, too, thank you very much for the gear," K'ndar said.


"You're welcome, sir. Safe flying," the man said.


__________________________________________________________________________


K'ndar sat outside the dorm. He didn't think it wise to take the wet backpack inside. It smelled.


Siskin sat next to him on the bench, curious as to what they'd rescued.


He stroked the blue fire lizard.


"You did so well, little one. You are the cleverest of all fire lizards."


The blue chittered, his eyes rolling blue.


And you, Raventh..I will never forget that dive. You were magnificent!!


It was fun. But I don't think I'll try that again.


Let's hope we don't ever have to!


On the front panel of the pack, just below the top handle, was the remains of an embroidered patch. It said 'Gre' The rest had either been worn away, or had been damaged, somehow. But it was all he needed to know that it had been Greta's, the geologist who was now-along with her green dragon, one with the sea. I hope it was quick, however you went, he thought.


He reached into the pack and pulled out a change of clothes. A live crab came with them.


It flared at him, then scuttled and fell of the pack.


Siskin pounced on it with glee. He skillfully evaded the crabs claws and killed it.


"Well, there's your dinner, Sis!!"


Siskin looked up...and backed away from the crab, hissing.


Afraid of a dead crab?


No.


"What have you there, K'ndar?" a voice said over him. He looked up to see Glorus.


"A backpack. I was on the North island and we found what was left of a dragon and her rider."


"What? Dead?"


"Aye. Only a few bones of the dragon and the rider. They were at the base of the cliff, just above the water. We saw this backpack and managed to recover it and I just returned here about half an hour ago," he said. He was VERY tired, and didn't feel like going into details.


She looked at him obviously wanting more.


"What happened?"


"I have no idea. The winds in the Strait are dreadfully bad for flying," he said.


"Why would you want to go there, then? Why did you do that?"


"What? Why?"


"Yes, why risk getting hurt for a rotten old backpack?"


Why are you bothering me, he thought. What kind of question is that?


"The person was a dragonrider. We do things like this for each other. I really don't feel like explaining it. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm suddenly feeling very worn out, like I've been up for days. "


"Oh, that's the cure, K'ndar. It wears off and then you feel like you've been kicked by a horse."


Shocked at her cavalier response, he said, "Why didn't you warn me?"


"You didn't ask," she said. She giggled as if it were the funniest thing in the world.


He wanted to jump up and shake her, but that would never do.


"It would have been nice if you'd told me. I won't take it again. What is that stuff, anyway?"


"The cure? It's called kafeen. The settlers brought a plant with them, called cuhfee. They drink it back on earth, apparently it's very popular. But the plant never did well here, and it is still only found in Ista. We pick the leaves and distill this kafeen from it, let it dry out and it's very effective. But...ha ha, you're learning it has side effects."


'When people show you who they really are', Mum used to quote, 'believe them the first time.' he thought. Now I know you, Glorus.


"Had I known it would make feel like I'm 80 years old, I'd never have taken it. So if you don't mind, I'm going to empty this pack and then I think I'll go to bed."


The woman bent down to look at the panel. She grimaced, then straightened up and said, "That's fine. What will you do with the contents?"


"I'll find the next of kin, I guess, for the personal stuff, but the scientific stuff, I'll take it to Landing," he said.


"How do you know it's got scientific stuff in it?"


He had about enough of her.


"Because I knew the rider. She was named Greta. She was on my survey team when I was out here last time. Now if you don't mind, unless you have some other business, I'd like to continue this."


"Well, I DO mind," Glorus said, "I want to see what's in it."


This woman is more irritating than a horde of locusts, he thought.


"Suit yourself. Why, may I ask are you so interested?"


Glorus sneered.


"Because Greta was my daughter."


After several stunned moments, he managed to say "Oh."


"We were estranged. She was the most stubborn, hard headed child I've ever known. She ran off from home several times, and was brought back by the Wanderers, who couldn't handle her, either. The only time she'd listen and obey was when I was teaching her geology. She loved it, she was good at it. But everything else? Pffft, like a flutter on the wind. Just like her sire! Then she got that bloody fire lizard and it was a nuisance, too. It was a relief she was Searched. I haven't seen her in years."


I would probably have run off, too, with a mum like you, he thought.


Without a word, he began to empty the pack. A ditty bag of personal items. Next, a journal, soaking wet and probably illegible. A datalink and then an electronic item she'd used to take readings....


"She had a lidar!" Glorus said, "I'll take that."


Immediately he knew that was the LAST thing he'd allow.


"No, ma'am, you won't. This Lidar has data on it that Landing paid her for. I'll let Landing decide what to do with it."


She made a grab at it. Siskin hissed louder and jumped to K'ndar's shoulder.


She backed up. "Bloody fire lizards, they're worthless. Give me it to me, K'ndar."


He stood up, his fatigue momentarily dispelled. He was a head taller than her. He summoned his alpha male. "No. It is not yours. It belonged to a dragonrider hired by Landing to use it. If, after Landing has examined it, they decide to give it away, then, perhaps you can have it. That will be up to the Acquisition Chief to decide," he said.


"Fine. It's probably useless anyway. They don't like getting wet."


He set the lidar next to Siskin, sending him an image to protect it.


He dug deeper into the pack, pulling out items...a cutlery set, a ditty bag with personal grooming tools, a harness for a fire lizard. He recognized his sister's handiwork. She'd made it for Greta,along with a new dragon harness, with the understanding that she'd be paid for it. She'd even worked in Greta's fire lizard's name, "Roany". He felt his heart twist for his sister. Greta had so deeply disappointed her.


And me, he thought.


The rest of the pack contained rocks. He began pulling them out when his fingers touched something familiar.


He pulled it out. It was Greta's Dragonrider braid, one worn by every dragonrider.


He looked at Glorus. She was the next of kin.


He handed it to her.


She took it, turning it round and round in her hands.


"What's this thing?"


"You don't know?"


"No, you dunce, I don't repeat myself," the woman snapped.


"I assure you, ma'am, I'm not a dunce. I'm a civil dragonrider," he said.


She snorted. She handed the braid back to him. She wiped her hand on her shirt.


What a piece of work you are, he thought.


"Obviously, you didn't see your daughter graduate from Weyrlingschool. Or even watch her impress her dragon."


"No, I didn't. I told you once, we were estranged. I have no idea where she went after she flew away on a man's dragon. It was good riddance."


"I see. Well, this braid tells the world that the wearer earned it after a year and a half of training, of learning to work as a team, of learning courtesy and protocol, of devoting her life-and risking it-to fighting Thread so that people like you could live without fear.


It is a high honor to wear the braid. It tells the people of Pern that this dragonrider has earned her spurs. She was honest and brave, and a most excellent geologist. If you were indeed her teacher, than I compliment you. You taught her well."


Glorus harrumphed.


Where he was finding the self restraint to keep from slapping her, he didn't know. Well, I don't hit people. But I am so tired of you, Glorus, I want nothing more than for you to leave me alone with your poor daughter's remnants.


"So, ma'am, you may have the clothes, but the rest I am keeping. Are you sure you don't want the braid? Because I must say, ma'am, that for all your obvious disdain for your daughter, not once..not once! did she ever say a bad thing about you. I, though, am so disgusted by your attitude that I hope you say no, because, quite honestly, Glorus, you don't deserve it," he said.


Glorus glared at him...then her face changed.


Don't take it. Don't take it, I don't want your filthy hands on it.


"What...what will you do with it?" she said.


"Every Weyr has a Keeper of braids of dead and lost dragonriders. They're kept in a carved box, and when a new candidate first enters Weyrlingschool, the braids are brought out with the story of who the dragonrider was, and how she was lost. It's how we honor our dead, how we keep the memory of the rider alive, respecting the price she paid. It's a solemn ceremony, and I can assure you that the braid is treated with the utmost respect for the dragonrider...and her dragon."


Tears filled Glorus's eyes. By the egg, maybe she has a heart.


Sighing, she shook her head and waved her hand at K'ndar.


"You're right. I don't deserve it." She sighed. "She wasn't a bad girl, K'ndar, she just wasn't what I thought she should be. I'm sorry. You keep it, please, put it in that box."


Then she turned, and he never saw her again.





 

No comments: