25 May 2021

Chap. 256 Jungle Hike

Chap 256 Jungle Hike


“What in the world have I gotten myself into?” K’ndar wondered.


Sweat poured down his face as he panted. Breathing was torture, the air so steamy he was in constant danger of inhaling the myriad insects that swirled around him. His backpack had seemingly doubled in weight, and his back felt as if it were melting.


The vegetation was so thick he could barely see Rand ahead of him, moving along a path alongside an invisible stream. Despite the cotholder being twice his age, Rand was setting a blistering pace up a steep, rock strewn path.


They were in what could only be termed a labyrinth of jungle vegetation. Creepers and vines snatched at his sides, and branches smacked him in the face. The sun was blazing overhead. His head throbbed, telling him he was dehydrated. No doubt, he thought, this is the biggest sauna I’ve ever been in.


Siskin clutched his shoulder, snapping at insects.


The trail snaked through the undergrowth, twisting here and there to avoid fallen trees and boulders.


He slipped on a wet rock and grabbed a branch alongside the trail. Something stabbed his finger. He yelped.


“Alright back there, K’ndar?” Rand called back.


He didn’t have the air in his lungs to respond.


The cotholder slowed and turned. His machete flashed like a beacon in the sun.


K’ndar wanted to stop, but he pushed on, til he caught up with the man. His breath was ragged.


The older man smirked.


“Is the pace too fast for ye, young man?”


K'ndar's temper flared. Was he being hazed? Yes, I’m out of shape, he thought, but this isn’t quite fair. But he had learned long ago to confront hazing.


“Yes, it is, is there a reason you’re flying along? If you’re trying to prove your bollocks are larger than mine, then, okay, you’re right.” he managed to gasp.


The smirk vanished. Rand dropped his eyes. K’ndar noted he wasn’t sweating.


“Aye, K’ndar, I’m sorry. That’s exactly what I were trying to prove, and you don’t have it coming. You’ve been fair dinkum to me, I shouldn’t be treating you badly. I’m not used to showing people my jungle, I’ve walked this trail so many times I don’t have to think where my feet are going, they knows better than my eyes.”


K’ndar bent down, his hands on his knees to catch his breath. It was useless, he felt, the air is so wet and hot I may as well forget about breathing.


“I’m not used to this, I admit, I’m out of shape, I guess. Could we slow it down a bit?” he gasped, panting.


“It won’t make much difference, we’re not that far, now.”


“From?”


“From the jungle.”


“This isn’t jungle?”


“Oh, it’s jungle, aye, but it’s not the rain forest jungle. No, this is merely the jungle’s way of weeding out the greenhorns. It’s her fence, aye, it’s her way to make sure you earn seeing the real thing,” Rand said.


“I’m a greenhorn. In fact, I don’t think I really am all that interested in seeing the rain forest. It seems quite damp enough here, it feels as if the air isn’t air, it’s rain too lazy to fall, it’s just sticking to me, as I’m the one doing the work getting wet. If I don’t find the beast’s home, I’m about ready to admit that it’s not that important to me anymore,” K’ndar snapped.


Rand frowned. “I’m sorry, K’ndar. Yes, you’re a greenhorn, but you’re not here to chop her down. I protect her, you know? And trust me, you DO want to see the rain forest. That’s where we’ll find the beast’s home, if there’s another. You do. Trust me.”


K’ndar straightened up. His heart stopped pounding. He drew in great breaths, but they were unproductive in making him any cooler.


“What does it mean when your fire lizard’s eyes are orange?” Rand asked, having been at eye level with the fire lizard when K’ndar was bent over.


“He is angry. Not furious. Not yet, anyway. If his eyes were red I’d be afraid he was going to attack you. They’re far more loyal than dogs, Rand, and twice as intelligent. He’s angry at how you’re pushing me.”


“Oh.” Rand gulped.


“In fact, he might not be interested in tracking the beast’s scent. That’s why I’m here, remember? To see if Siskin can track the beast, if there’s another in the area? But he might not want to, now.”


“Okay. I were showing off. I admit it. But we’re not far now, K’ndar, and once you see it, you’ll see why I love it here. This is the hardest part of the trail, usually it’s under water. Let’s press on.”


K’ndar relented. I won’t ever let this happen to me again, he thought. I don’t even know what’s expected of me. It wasn’t my idea to come back here, to do this!


He remembered the datalink rudely dragging him from a deep slumber.


“ ‘Lo?”


“K’ndar, I’m Jomoke, I’ve worked with Lefsa. She turned your specimen, that unusual beast over to me for examination. This is the most amazing animal I’ve ever seen, it’s totally new to science, it’s not even in the database. You weren’t asleep, were you? I was going to wait until tomorrow to dissect it but no, I had to have a crack at it right away, I’m sure you can understand! Imagine that, K’ndar!! I need something from you. I need to know if you can find a live one. Tell me what and where it lives, can you do that?”


“Um...yes, I was asleep..” K’ndar said, confused. “Jomoke? Do I know you?”


He fumbled with the datalink, trying to see the time. Jomoke? Apparently the man worked late hours. What was it with these Landing folk? Haven’t they ever lived or done anything other than research? Most Pernese know better than to call in the middle of the night after one has put in a day’s work.


“No, you don’t know me, but Lefsa transferred that amazing animal to me. Can you possibly go back and at least get some photos? Or find out what habitat it lives in? Like tomorrow?”


“Does it need to be done so...so," he grumbled, still befuddled.


“It would be nice. Just to find out where it lives,” Jomoke said, in a begging tone.

“and it’s habitat, and maybe find some samples, maybe….”


“Um…” K’ndar rubbed his eyes. What time was it?


“I’ve already talked to Raylan, your data can wait for logging later,” Jomoke had said.

“Raylan? I’m looking for what?”


“Yes, Raylan, I checked with him, the data can wait. Just find out what habitat it lives in, that sort of thing,” the man said.


Feeling trapped, but not sure if he could say no, he found himself saying, “Raylan approved it?”


“Perfect! Thank you! You’re a biologist, you know what I need. Samples. Description of the vegetation, soil samples. Fecal samples, oh, please, that would be wonderful.”


“Um, I’m..gads, I’ve not been asleep for more than two hours. Fecal samples?”


You’ve got it! If you leave early I should think you’d be back by noon. Thank you so much. Good night.”


K’ndar allowed the datalink to slip from his hands. What the shaff had just happened? I’ve been rushed into something I have no idea the purpose? Who the bloody shaff is Jomoke? He’s got the animal, and he wants what?


His paternal Uncle Fland swam into his memory. Now I understand you, Fland, when you said, “I feel like I’ve been shot at and missed, shit at and hit.”




He shook his head as he returned to his present situation. I’m somewhere in the jungle that isn’t jungle. I really am beginning to loathe Jomoke and this green baking oven.


“You okay, lad?” Rand said, dragging his attention to the now.


Maybe I wasn’t so lucky in finding you trimming the clearing, he thought, looking at the cotholder. I could honestly have said, I couldn’t find the clearing, the vegetation had recovered from burning in just a few days. Just a few!! Then I could have had time to figure out if I’d been shanghaied into a frivolous excursion, and wouldn’t be sweating my life out in this miserable jungle.


But no, Rand had seen Raventh appear from between and signaled him to land.


“I’m okay, now. I..I was just catching my breath.”


Rand motioned at his hand.


“Look at your hand, I heard you yelp. It’s all red. Is it hurting yet?”


“Is what hurting...oh. My hand.” He extended his right hand.


“Um…” The pinkie finger had taken the brunt of the sting, and was beginning to swell. Now that he was paying attention to it, he realized that yes, it was beginning to hurt.


“Looks like you’ve been stung. In a while it will start to burn. If we hurry...I know, we’ve BEEN hurrying, now we’ve a good reason. I have some salve at my hold, it will keep the pain down to nothing. It’s just numb weed, with an antivenin for the venom.”


“Venom?”


“Aye, that beastie is a nasty. It’s called a vespid, but that’s from what the Ancients called ‘em. They’s all over Southern. They’s tiny but they has a mean sting. Iffen that’s what got you, and I think I’m right. So, let’s go. We’ll dab it on you, and then..you’ll meet my jungle.”



 

No comments: