06 June 2021

Chap. 259 Identified

 

Chap. 259 Identified


K’ndar shut off the datalink. He found himself shaking from stress-or fury?


“’E’s your boss, what?” Rand said of Raylan.


“And friend. I’ve never heard him so angry. That man, Jomoke-what in the world was he trying to do? Why would he work to get me in trouble, me, a total stranger? I had no idea that today was the day the official name would be discussed. Why would a stranger send me off an a wild wherry chase?”


Rand said, “Tell me what he said?”


K’ndar paraphrased the short conversation.


“Dunno, K’ndar. Sounds to me as if he wanted you out of the vicinity, so he could name the beast.”


K’ndar gritted his teeth. His aggravation broke its shackles.


“I am so sick of the games these people at Landing have been playing with me!! First it was Shawn, then Lefsa’s husband, now this lout. If I didn’t love my work, I’d...I’d...why do people DO these things?” he shouted.


Then, after a moment, “Sorry. It’s not your fault.”


Rand shook his head. “K’ndar, we humans might be ‘civilized’ but there’s still plenty of folks willing to cut your throat when it suits their ends.”


K’ndar grumbled. “You’re right. And I resent always being the one having to watch out for them. I’m sick of having to always watch my back. At least at the weyr, I could depend on people, not beware of them.”


He kicked at a loose rock. “I’m this close to just telling them all to shaff off.”


“Now, K’ndar, not everyone is like that. You know that as well as I do. Your boss, he’s in a leadership position, right? Being a leader isn’t easy, K’ndar. He had to be hard on you, at first. Had to. All he knew is you weren’t where you were supposed to be, at work. He’s thinking, where is this bloke? Done something foolish, like gone off on a drunk? Got hurt and can’t communicate? He didn’t know. He can’t be doing HIS job, or judging what to do, until he has both sides of the story. Now he’s got them. Look, he did say it could wait ‘til tomorrow, yes? He compromised, on your behalf. That’s the sign of a good leader, K’ndar. I’m betting he’s having a chat with this Jomoke, right now. Wouldn’t you like to have Siskin listening in on THAT one, what?” He laughed, then sobered. “This Raylan, K’ndar, he sounds like a good ‘un. Really.”


K’ndar sighed. He let the grudge slip from his mental fingers.


“You’re right. He is, Rand. But this just gives me another reason why I’ve always avoided leadership jobs. I’m just not cut out for them.”


There was an unfathomable look in Rand’s eye. The man shook his head.


“Don’t cut yourself too short, K’ndar. You’d make a good one.”


Before K’ndar could retort, Rand looked up at the sky.


“Look, we could chitchat all day, mate, but I did hear Raylan say he wanted you back. And it’s going to rain in about twenty minutes. You might want to fly out of here.”


“Shards!” he gasped, dreading having to plunge back into the green steam bath. “It’ll take half an hour to get back to the clearing.”


“Aye, and you don’t want to hurry down that path, it’s worse going down.”


K’ndar wanted to tear his hair out. Jomoke, if I ever meet you, I’m going to pound the living daylights out of you, whether or not I get in trouble.


I can pick you up Raventh said.


It took him several heart beats to think that through.


??? Where would you land?


Isn’t there a clearing, where that big tree fell down? I can land there


Yes, but..I’m sorry, Raventh, I’m still pissed, I’m not thinking straight.


K’ndar dragged his focus from his anger to looking at the fallen trees. Maybe….


Rand, how big do you think that break in the canopy is, back at that big tree came down? Think there’s enough room for Raventh?


Rand swatted at a bug that wanted to nest in his ear.


You want him to pick you up here?”


Yes. He thinks he can get in.”


Rand was doubtful. “K’ndar, I can’t say. I’m no dragon rider. It’s a big gap, sure as sunrise, but it’s elongated, not round, like my clearing. But he HAS managed the clearing, despite it being smaller. Even the rogue’s dragon managed, and he was much bigger than Raventh.”


If he’s willing to try, I am, too. All he needs is clearance for his wings, and to be able to launch.”


I can’t make that decision for you, K’ndar,” Rand said. “If he gets hurt?”


Doubt struck K’ndar’s heart and stomach.


Don’t worry. I’m not stupid. If I can’t, I can’t. I’ll take a good look at it, and if I can’t, you’ll just have to come down here.


Okay. But we’ll be caught in the rain, and I don’t want to risk flying in it. Lightning, you know.


Rain is rain, to me. It’s you humans who don’t like getting wet.


K’ndar grinned wryly. It wasn’t the rain in and of itself that bothered him, although going between while wet was bone chilling. It was drying out the leather harness that was the problem. Sometimes it was never the same after a solid wetting.


Send Siskin to me, so he can show me which clearing it is. I saw at least six similar gaps when we flew in.


Call him. I’ll get my backpack, and I’ll meet you.


Siskin suddenly launched, rose up in the air, and vanished.


Where’s he goin’?”


He’s going to lead Raventh here. I have to get my backpack, and then head for the fallen tree. I’m sorry I am leaving in such a rush, but I will try to come back, if you want.”


Rand nodded. “No problems, K’ndar. You’re always welcome.”



Raventh was hovering overhead by the time K’ndar reached the fallen tree clearing. He was measuring.


Is the downed tree strong enough for me?


I don’t know. It looks solid.


Tell him I think the tree is strong enough for him to land. It only came down a few weeks ago, not enough time for it to rot.”


Shocked, K’ndar said, “Did you hear him?”


Hear him? No, I was just considering his weight.”


K’ndar nodded. “They’re not as heavy as they look. Most of their bones are hollow, like birds. It’s the launching that concerns me.”


Well, that’s easy enough to find out.” He unsheathed his machete and strode to the tree. He tapped the reddish brown trunk with the blade’s blunt edge, working his way up to the middle of the tree.


Should be solid here, but, stand back. I’m going to hit it. If it’s solid, the blade might bounce, and you don’t want the business edge in your face.”


It did.


She’s solid as a rock. Her roots just gave out, the tree itself is pretty solid right now. It takes a long time for them to rot.”


I heard him. Give me room, please?


He’s coming down. Let’s get out of his way, he’ll need all the clearance he can get.”


They both moved underneath the spreading branches of a standing tree.


Siskin dropped from the sky and perched on the upright snags of the root wad. The snags seemed to suddenly grow fifty meters in height, the ends of the bare roots reaching out to impale a dragon.


Beware of the root wad, the vertical part.


Yes. Siskin is my eyes on the ground. I have to concentrate


On the few times Raventh had attempted to land in a tiny opening, K’ndar had been on his back. This time, observing from the ground, he saw just how fine the dragon would have to cut it. His heart was in his throat.


He remembered dropping into an even smaller clearing on an island, when they’d rescued Harve, a shipwrecked boy. This clearing was much larger, but narrow. Oh, so narrow.


I remember. Now stop thinking. Please. I can do this. Just be quiet.


K’ndar forced his mind to shut up. It wasn’t easy, keeping his tongue and his mind quiet as the dragon descended.


But it was for Raventh. He eased down, wings flapping just enough to control his descent and then he was straddling the fallen tree.


See? Easy. Lots of room here. This tree is solid for a launch, too.


K’ndar whooped in delight. It HAD looked easy.


You are incredible! Raventh! You are the best!


I know.


You are one flying dragon, Raventh!!” Rand called.


Raventh spread his wings ostentatiously, checked the wingtips and then ceremoniously tucked them along his sides.


Show off K’ndar teased.




Siskin warbled happily.


Well DONE, lad!! Siskin, you are the best landing guide in the all of Pern!”

K’ndar called. Siskin flew to him, hovering as K’ndar shouldered his backpack.


Siskin suddenly spit, backwinged, then rocketed straight up. The lizard perched atop a spindly tree limb above the top of the canopy.


What? What?” K’ndar said.


He’s sending an image. It’s...don’t move!


Rand. Freeze,” he hissed.


A giant shadow blocked the sun, scudding across the ground at his feet.


He couldn’t help but look up just in time to see the tail of a dragon, flying high above the canopy.


Siskin launched in pursuit.


What is he doing, K’ndar thought. I don’t dare shout at him. Is this the rogue dragonrider?


It’s okay, now, Siskin says the dragon is flying at high speed due south. He is right behind the rider. The rider is scanning, looking for something below him. Remember I said I felt someone was searching? It was his dragon. I think he came out of between just after I landed, otherwise he would have seen me.


Did you send Siskin?


No. Siskin just..knew. By the time he sent an image of the dragon, he’d launched to follow. Siskin is angry at the rider. He is saying he has met the man and doesn’t like him.


Any other dragons? Are they alone?


No, and yes.


Who in the world could it be? A Southern Weyr rider?


He’s gone,” K’ndar said, and moved to the tree. He’d have to climb, he realized, it was bigger than he’d expected.


K’ndar,” Rand hissed, “That was him! The rogue dragon rider! I recognized the dragon, he’s got a long white scar on his right hind leg. I saw it, clear as day. It was him! The rogue!” Rand growled.


Good on you, Rand, for remembering that. Most dragons have scars if they fought thread. Raventh’s got a few, if you notice,” K’ndar said. “I think we’re in luck, I don’t think they saw us.


No surprise there, K’ndar. We were under a tree and Raventh, look, he’s a little darker than the tree, but at that height, speed, they didn’t see him! That’s the luck! But where’s Siskin?”


Siskin is following him, trying to get a good look at the rider. If he does, I might be able to identify him. We know he’s not a Southern Weyr rider, we’ve already checked them.”


Did you train him to do that?”


I did, but it’s been a long time since then, I’m surprised he did it all on his own.”


I DEFINITELY need a fire lizard. Any animal that is that smart…”


Ssh, please? He’s sending me images of the team.”


K’ndar and Raventh recognized man and dragon at the same instant.


Firoth Raventh said.


Tovar,” K’ndar gasped. Tovar!


Why am I not surprised, he thought, I just didn’t think of it. He’d proven himself to be a rogue from day one at Tillek Sea Hold.


Tovar? You know him?”


Yes. He was a member of our survey team, that is, until we fired him. He’s originally from High Reaches Weyr, then transferred to Tillek Sea Hold, and then from there? I don’t know. He’s definitely a rogue, and I think he’s been working for Toric. He’s no good, Rand, are you...well, this is a dumb question, but..do you want to come back to Landing with me? To be safe?”


Rand snorted. “Safe? Shaff that! ‘E’s the one who needs to worry about safety! I want to cut the yob’s head off!” He beheaded an invisible foe with a vicious swipe of the machete. “I’m not afraid of him, and he’s not about to find me. My home, the boma, they’re just like a hundred other spots in the forest. I’ll let the first clearing fill in so that Tovar? never finds it again. Don’t you worry about me, K’ndar. I can handle any rogue in a fight, clean or dirty, long as it’s one on one,” he roared.


K’ndar grinned. “I’d love to see that. I’d bet money on you.”


Rand laughed. Sheathing the machete, he cupped his hands. “’E’re, mate, you’ll need a leg up. She’s a big tree, even laying down.”


K’ndar put a shin in the man’s hands and Rand boosted him up. K’ndar grasped Raventh’s extended foreleg, got to his feet, unsteadily, on the broad tree trunk, then climbed into the saddle. He scanned the boma, the tree, the stump to memorize them.


Thank you, Rand. Now I know who the rogue is, I’ll report him to Council. And I’ll let you know what’s decided about your beast,” he said, looking down at Rand’s upturned face.


He was startled at how small Rand suddenly appeared.


This is how it must feel to ride a gold, he thought. Gold dragons could be half again as big as a brown.


Taller doesn’t always mean better Raventh said, smugly.


Rand grinned. “And your trader friend with the fire lizard eggs?”


Aye. I’ll send a message via Siskin if he’s coming this way. He’ll be wearing a pouch on a harness. Now that he knows you, he’ll allow you to take a message from the pouch, or put one in. I’m assuming this is the only home you have?”


Rand chuckled. “Now, mate, that’d be telling, what? Let’s just say it is, for now.”



Siskin is returning. We should leave now, before the rain.


Siskin swooped in, chittering joyfully. He did a boastful back flip before landing behind Raventh’s head.


What a team we make, he thought. He reached forward to stroke the fire lizard.


Siskin, you never fail to impress me. That was very clever, you are such a good lad!” K’ndar said, impressed at the fire lizard’s initiative.How did you know I wanted to you to do that?”


Siskin smirked.







No comments: