07 January 2020

Chap. 144 Life Lesson


Chap. 144 Life Lesson

"Hi, K'ndar. Some klah? Hungry?" Shirae, his sister's foster mother, asked.

He nodded, only half paying attention. She poured two mugs and had him sit at the ancient wooden table in her kitchen. He told her about Greta leaving without notice.

"I'm pissed, if you can imagine," he said. The girls..his sister and two others, were in school, so he could speak without worrying about being overheard. "Greta just…taking off like that without so much as a 'bye'. Now I have to explain something I don't get myself to Glyena."

Shirae nodded.

"I feel the same way, K'ndar. Glyena is a good kid. She works hard, she's honest. She's not perfect, mind you: she can be opinionated and a bit mouthy, and the other girls say she can be bossy. But in general, she's a good kid. Does her chores, does her schoolwork, stays out of trouble for the most part. If she's not here, she's at the barn, riding Jordan. Did you know Jordan is the smartest, fastest, prettiest, best horse in the Whole World?"

He laughed. "Aye, I do, he was, after all, my horse at first," he said.

"He's a very important part of her life, K'ndar. And so are you. She's proud of you, she thinks the world of you." 

She put a platter of meat rolls in front of him and sat down at the table. K'ndar noticed it was covered in carved names and dates. He idly traced them with his fingers.

"What upsets me," he said, "is that Greta took advantage of her, and me. How can you run out of honoring a promise? Never mind paying for a harness. She just takes off, never to return?"

Shirae held up a cautionary finger.

"We don't know that yet, K'ndar. Ruatha's Gather is next weekend. Do you know for a fact that Greta is gone for good?"

He shook his head. "No. I don't. I guess I'm jumping to conclusions."

"I agree. She could come back, at the last moment, which is rude, I guess, but if it satisfies the promise, it satisfies the commitment. Rather than upset your sister for an entire week, let's just see what Greta does. We'll have plenty of time to help Glyena with the disappointment after the fact, if Greta doesn't show up."

He nodded his head, then shook it. 

"Okay. That's fair, I suppose. But still, how is it going to look to Glyena? That's what keeps digging into me, how it makes her feel."

"I know. You want to protect her from hurt. Well, K'ndar, you can't. If Greta does, indeed, renege on her promise, it's says that Greta is not an honorable person.  It by no means reflects anything on you. People make promises, all the time, then turn right around and break them. You want to keep Glyena from feeling pain, but she, like all of us had to, is going to have to learn to deal with disappointments. I'm not saying it's right, but, you know as well as I do, there are dishonest people out there, people who hurt others, who are too evil, too thick, or too selfish, to think of what their actions do to others. 

Glyena's a tough kid. Your father was hard on her, as I'm sure he was on you. So she's got a tough outer layer, just like you. She's done a LOT of healing, a lot of balancing and coming to terms with the abuse Hanliss handed her, and that will stand her in good stead. Still, we …you and I, my weyrmate, and my other two fosters, even her Mum at home, we'll be here to help her. And, I have to add, she's a lot stronger than you give her credit for. Or at least, more than my other girls. Those two never had to deal with an abusive father," she said.

K'ndar took a meat roll. 

"This is very good, ma'am, thank you," he said. He took a few moments to savor it. 

"Should I-well, let's say Greta doesn't return. Or, the thought just hit me, maybe she lied to Glyena about the family member at Ruatha wanting her to ride. It does sound farfetched. How do we deal with that? I mean, I'm willing to pay her for the dragon harness, make Glyena whole, but I don't know if I should pretend that it came from Greta and she just couldn't do the horse race thing, or…what?" 

"Don't lie for Greta. Never, ever. If you want to pay Glyena for the harness, she needs to know it's from YOU BECAUSE of Greta's actions. That is a good lesson in and of itself, but she can't be led to believe that Greta took an alternate solution-that of paying rather than a horse to ride at Ruatha's races-to a problem she caused, IF she doesn't actually pay or follow through. Don't make excuses for Greta. And, let's just wait and see."

K'ndar stood up. Then sat back down.

"The other part of it is, what her leaving like this, what it portrays ME as."

"Meaning?"

"I want to think that the reason Glyena was so willing to build a harness for Greta is because of ME. She trusted my judgement. In this case, I might be proven wrong. That hurts me, because it hurts her," he said, getting riled again.

"I can see that. And understand it. You were, okay, let's say Greta IS gone for good. It means you misjudged her, nothing more. You vouched for her character based on what you knew of her at the time. You had no idea she was capable of something like this. For that matter, maybe she didn't, either. Maybe she truly expected to honor her promise.
Her leaving has hurt a girl who trusted her because of her brother's trust. Her brother-you-were working on knowledge of Greta that you had gained while working with her in a situation different than what we have here.  In other words, you had just a limited amount of experience with Greta to go on. 

You didn't, and still don't, have enough information based on….welllllll, let's put it this way. Both you and Glyena are horsemen. Let's say you have a horse, you've had him for years. For you, he's been the ultimately trustworthy horse. You've both learned what to expect from the other. You're able to deal with reactions he will demonstrate in a new environment or a novel situation because of your experience with him. 

Now you give that horse to a little girl, who isn't old enough, or experienced enough with horses to know what one will do in a novel situation or a new environment.  The little girl, with less experience, and with a new horse, won't have that empirical knowledge, and the horse might spook and throw her off.

You will probably feel guilty because a little girl was hurt, unintentionally and indirectly, by an action of yours. You assumed that the girl could handle the horse like you did. You will feel responsible for the horse's actions, even though you can't possibly be held responsible, because the horse has a brain and a will, just like you. Will the girl, though, think you're responsible? Or that you misled her? 

"That's it. That's what I don't want…I don't want Glyena thinking the less of me because of what Greta did..or will have done."

"Right. I'm not saying that Greta should be given the benefit of the doubt that we give to a horse…but that's what happened here. Of COURSE you feel responsible. I'd think less of you if you didn't. But, the old saying goes, we're putting the dragon ahead of the thread.  Let us wait and see, for now. And, let's say, Greta doesn't show up to honor her promise. You still can take your sister to the races at Ruatha. She doesn't need Greta, and I can promise you, Glyena will be thrilled to go on a date to the races! with her Big Brother."

"A date! I like that idea! Of course I'll take her, it will be fun, even if she doesn't ride."
 He stood up. "Thank you. Thank you, for helping, and for …well, for being a second mum to my sister. And…maybe me."

Shirae smiled.  
__________________________________________________________________________
He had just passed the first level administration offices when a drudge came up to him.

"Sir, you're K'ndar, yes?" the man said.

"Yes, I am."

"Sir, Hariko asked us to keep an eye out for you, she wants to see you."

"Oh, okay," he said, wondering.

"I'll show you in to her office," he said. 

Hariko was, as always, on her feet in front of an array of slate boards. Her Boards, as everyone knew, were the nexus of the intricate workings of the weyr. No one had permission to alter a thing on them unless she gave direct orders. Even the Weyrleaders didn't have the courage to mess with Hariko's boards. Nor did they want to. They were the visible signs of Hariko's mind, a a reflection of how she ran her ship, the Weyr. It ran well. 

"Hariko, ma'am, K'ndar reporting as requested," he said, coming to attention. 

The headwoman turned and smiled.

"Oh, go on, you daft wherry, what's with the formality?" she said.

K'ndar smiled. "Ma'am, I hold you in utmost respect. Without you, this weyr would collapse into ruin. That, and I'd lose weight. I did at Tillek Sea Hold. I almost starved to death. I am SO glad to be back here where the weyrs are warm and clean, and the food is the best."

"Aye, that's so," a voice said behind them.

He turned to see Siena, the Weyrwoman.

Hariko dropped her eyes. "Nay, you're just saying that to be kind," she said.

"Don't be so humble, my lady," Siena said, "you are the keystone of Kahrain Steppe Weyr."

"Thank you," Hariko said.

They all looked happily at each other for a moment. Then the drudge said, "I'll be getting on my way, then, sir," and left. 

"Hariko, I need to get with you about a situation in the western weyr complex," Siena began.

"Just one moment, my lady, I have something for K'ndar."

Hariko moved to her desk.

"K'ndar, when my staff cleaned up the guest weyr, we found that Greta? Yes, Greta, she had something of yours, she left it in the weyr, with this note."

"Something of mine? I don't remember…."

She handed the bundle to K'ndar. He felt the heft of it. He knew immediately what it was,
and in a flash, why.

The note was on a scrap of hide.

It said, "Give to K'ndar".

Both women looked at him in curiosity.

He opened the bundle up, just enough to see another note, again on a scrap of hide.

Pulling it out, he read it.

And sighed in resignation.

The women's faces were a mix of wanting to know what it said, and knowing it wasn't polite to pry.

He looked at them. Somehow he had the words to satisfy their curiosity.

"Greta's not coming back. This is just something I'd forgotten I'd lent her."

They nodded. 

"Thank you, Hariko," he said, and then, paying his respects to her and his Weyrwoman, left.

He waited until he was in the privacy of his weyr to re-read the whole note.

It was brief.

"K'ndar. Tell Glyena, sorry. Can't take her to the races. This is for the harness. Greta"

He opened the bag completely.

It held a large rough opal.
_______________________________________________________________________
After hugging K'ndar and telling him all about her day in school and how Jordan was so wonderful, Shirae and K'ndar had Glyena sit down at the table.

She popped a meat roll in her mouth.

K'ndar looked at Shirae, who nodded imperceptibly. He took a deep breath.

"Glyena, I have some bad news for you, and some good news. Which do you want first?"

She chewed thoughtfully for a moment, then said, "The bad news."

"Okay. The bad news is, Greta left the weyr. Remember, she promised to take you to ride at the Ruatha gather's horse races in payment for the harness."

"Uh huh," Glyena said, still chewing.

"Well, she's gone. She left without telling anyone other than Flight Ops, and I have a note from her saying that she's 'sorry, but she's not going to take you to the races," he said, hoping it didn't sound like he was rushing it, "It means, no horse racing at Ruatha," he said.

"Uh huh," she said.

Her calmness perplexed the adults.

"Just…uh huh? Do you understand?" K'ndar said, puzzled at her reaction.

"She just left. With B'rost," Glyena said, matter of factly.

"Yes. She broke a promise to you," he said.

"I know."

"You…know? And you're not angry?" K'ndar said, floundering.

"I was mad at first. I knew she broke her promise when I heard she'd left the weyr. After I gave her the harness," Glyena said.

"Wha…what...how did you know?"

Glyena reached for another meat roll.

"Nyala tol' me. I was digging through the used tack bin for leather to use and Nyala asked me what for and I told her what Greta promised and Nyala said she knows all the staff at Ruatha because we're horse people and horse people talk to each other. She said no one never came from Ruatha to look at horses here or at the Hold."

"No one 'ever'," Shirae corrected, out of habit. 

"No one ever from Ruatha. But she said let me find out from my friends at Ruatha before I say such things I might be wrong about her because she said she's been wrong before and let her check, but go ahead and make the harness because I made a promise to Greta on good faith and dragonriders  are honest. 
So later on she tol' me she sent a message with my friends fire lizard to Ruatha because now we can do that after the kids got their lizards trained and her friends at  Ruatha said no one has a sister there named Greta who rides a green dragon. So that's how we knew Greta had lied. But I'd given her the harness by then, I'd made it and didn't want my work go to waste, 'specially after cutting the leather to fit her dragon," she said, "and Nyala said, don't let this turn you angry, this is her to blame not no one else."

"Anyone else," Shirae said, then forced herself to keep from laughing at her efforts to correct grammar. Oh, Nyala, what a  wise woman you are.

"And….and you're not upset? After the work you did on the harness?"

"That's okay. First it was a horse harness that Nyala found for me, it was good leather for used, but not what I'd use for, say you. And then Nyala said not to worry, she would pay for the harness, because …well because. She was mad at Greta and said, don't never, I mean don't ever, trust that girl again."

Gratefulness and relief swelled K'ndar's and Shirae's hearts.

"So, did Nyala pay for the harness?" Shirae asked.

"Uh huh," Glyena said through a mouthful of meatroll. She covered her mouth at a stern look from Shirae, who didn't have to say 'don't talk while chewing your food'. 

Nyala, you love, I will reimburse you whatever it is you paid. Tonight. I have the money, K'ndar thought.

Shirae felt the same as K'ndar did about the weyr's masterherder. I will go and pay Nyala, she thought, today. What a darling, what a grand soul she is.

"How much?" she asked.

They waited til Glyena had swallowed her mouthful.

"Two marks," she said. She turned and dug around in her backpack. "See, it's right here," she said, pulling out the mark coins. Shirae was shocked. 

"Glyena, you don't have to carry it around! We have a lockbox for you, you can keep it in there," she said, "You know we have a box for everyone in the family and only you have the key for yours. You needn't carry it around in your backpack."

"It's okay, ma'am, no one knows I have it 'cept Nyala and now you and 'sides, no one is going to steal it, 'specially here in my home," the girl said. 

K'ndar laughed, and gave her a hug.

"Still, sis, you should probably lock it up, okay?"

"Okay." 

K'ndar stood up, relieved, then remembered the rough opal. He didn't know how much the opal would bring, but he did have two marks, and if the opal brought more than that, well, it would go to Glyena.

"I do have to tell you this, though-Greta DID pay. She left payment with me. She left it with Hariko who gave it to me about an hour ago. So, after I leave here, I am going to go and reimburse Nyala," he said. 

Shirae felt relief, too. Two marks was a lot of money. "So, Glyena, Greta, while she broke her promise to you, she still did pay for your work. That's a little better…but do like Nyala said. Don't let this be about you. It's Greta's character flaw." 

"I know. I won't. I didn't never, I mean ever, think it was my fault," she said, confidently. Then she asked, "Is that all the bad news?" 

"Yes," K'ndar said.

"So what's the good news?"

He put an arm around her, and with the other, pointed skyward with a dramatic flourish.

"The good news, little lady, is that a brown dragon rider would like to take his best girl on a date. To Ruatha, to see the horse races and go through the Gather. Can you guess who that dragonrider might be?"

Glyena grinned and bear hugged him. "My Big Brother!"

"Aye, that lucky man!"

"On Raventh?"

"On Raventh. With Siskin. And ME-so what do you say, pretty lady, is it a date?"

"Yes yes yes! Maybe I can find something to buy there!" Glyena said.

She began to dance in the kitchen.

Shirae looked at K'ndar with a 'told you so' look and winked. "Tough kid," she said.



2 comments:

Broompuller said...

This is really good. I loved it.

Khutulan said...

Thank you!