01 August 2019

Chap. 45 Siskin's first ride


Chap. 45 Siskin's first ride

Siskin, his young blue fire lizard, suddenly appeared, chittering in agitation. His eyes rolled an aggravated orange. He flew right in Raventh's face, for all the world sounding as if he were scolding. Then he settled between Raventh's wings, muttering. 

What's wrong with him?

I was 'gone'. He was afraid.  He was asleep when we left. I had to think about fighting Thread so I couldn't tell him we would be back. He is still a baby. He will learn.

You can probably reassure him better than I can. 

He is better now. He was angry with me but now he's happy.

Raventh had bathed in the dragon lake and K'ndar was oiling him. He had it down to a science now, and found that oiling took much less time. He remembered the first time, back when Raventh was still a small dragon, he'd taken hours to oil the brown and still managed to get more oil on himself than on the dragon.

I wonder if we should leave him here while we're on missions, or take him with us.

I'll ask him.

Do you think he'll understand?

He's still young. And he doesn't 'think'. He feels. But I'll try it.

Raventh was quiet for a while. Then he laughed.

He wants a full stomach. Right now.

K'ndar laughed, too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D'mitran, K'ndar's wingleader, came up to him as K'ndar cleaned up a sated Siskin.  Sometimes it seemed there was more meat on the lizard than in him. But then, even the bigger dragons weren't known for being neat eaters.

"I know we just finished a threadfall, but I have a request for your service as transport," he said.

"Me?"

"Rahman, the starsmith, asked for you specifically."

"Oh, yes, of course, that is, if Raventh is up to it."

Does it mean going someplace?

Yes

I can do it, it's not hard. Just between?

"Just a between? Raventh wants to know," he said.

"Well, two..one there and one back," D'mitran said. "He's here, he was 'taking readings' while we were fighting thread, and wants to go back. Honestly, if you get there and feel tired, spend the night. There's plenty of room and the food's good, and I'd rather you be rested than risk going between when you're both tired."

"Certainly. When? Now?"

"Get something to eat, and go. If you need the coordinates I can get them for you, but I bet my boots you have them memorized. B'rant's too good a Weyrlingmaster to not have taught you."

"One of the first things I learned is that a dragonrider needs a good memory," K'ndar said.

"Aye, that's a sure one."

"Where am I taking him?"

"Landing." D'mitran said, grinning. 

"OH WOW. YES! I've wanted to see Landing for a LONG time, yes."

Let's take Siskin. He may as well learn as much as he can.

That's a great idea!
_______________________________________________________________________
He made sure that Rahman was securely strapped in. Then he mounted Raventh and 'called' for Siskin.

The blue arrived, excited. He perched on K'ndar's shoulder.

Let him know we are going to go between, and to stay with us.

I did. I am visualizing Landing's dragonstones. Also, ours, just in case.

Smart dragon. Smarter than me!

He was a bit worried, wondering how other fire lizard owners moved around with their lizards. He'd never heard of one getting lost. But you never knew.

He is familiar with Landing

?

All fire lizards seem to have the same memories, of all of Pern locations. I don't know how they do that. They have to learn new ones, though

"Ready, sir?" he asked, knowing the answer would be:

"Lead on, McDuff," Rahman answered.

Someday, he vowed, he'd learn what that meant.

No comments: