10 August 2019

Chap. 59 Personnel changes


Chap. 59  Personnel Changes

"It's not at all unusual, Marais. Please don't think we'll be angry with you. It's perfectly understandable."

D'nis and M'rvin, a wingleader, had the junior gold rider in the conference room.

"Sirs, please don't think it's because I don't like it here. I love it here. When Jenmay BANISHED us to other weyrs, that's what it felt like, it did! I was so angry. But the people at Honshu Weyr were SO nice to me, so sweet. They took me in with open arms. Their Weyrwoman is the kindest person.They have a few older golds and want 'fresh blood', unrelated blood. I'm not so much interested in being Weyrwoman as I am in getting a chance at it. Part of it is I don't want to compete against Siena or Rondair. They're both my friends and I don't want to..to, um, compete against them. I don't want to see my gold fight with theirs.  Once Thread stops falling? I don't know what's going to happen. But I'd love to give my darling a chance," Marais said. 

The men nodded. "We will miss you, my lass, you've been a tremendously valuable part of the Weyr's fighting wings, and I think you'll do just as well at Honshu."

"It's not as if I'll be leaving you shorthanded," she rushed, still not convinced they wouldn't be angry, "There's a green rider out here who wants to transfer in."

They nodded, knowing it in advance. 

"We will miss you, Miss Marais, I can promise you that," D'nis said. "Now I think you should go to the party that's been set up for you," he smiled, knowing she didn't know. M'rvin grinned.

"A… party?"

He laughed. "Don’t think Hariko was going to let you go without SOME sort of send-off. I'll try to be there, later. Safe flying, my lassie, and thank you."

She got up, tears in her eyes, wondering if she'd made the right decision.

"Yes, you have. Now go." D'nis said, laughing, knowing what she'd thought. She paused for a moment, then abruptly went over to the Weyrleader and hugged him as he sat.

"You've taught me so much about leadership, sir. Thank you."

D'nis was tongue-tied, but he returned the hug.

Now then. On to the next step.

"Green rider Francie? Please, enter," M'rvin called.

Francie walked in. She came to attention and politely saluted.

"Weyrleader D'nis, Wingleader M'rvin, I would like to introduce myself. I am Francie, green Motanith's rider, from Telgar Weyr, requesting permission to transfer to Kahrain Steppe Weyr."

"Please, sit down, please? Would you like some klah," M'rvin said.

"No, thank you, sir, not at the moment." She was a bit nervous.

"This is serendipitous, you filling in a slot vacated by Marais. M'rvin's wing was a bit shorthanded and we were about to be forced into shifting riders around. You'll be flying with his wing," D'nis said.

"And I'm ALWAYS happy to have green riders. You girls are top notch riders, and usually do more than your share of flaming thread," M'rvin said. 

She nodded in acknowledgement.

"Our headwoman is Hariko. She is highly competent, honestly, were it not for her, the weyr would have collapsed by now, as we currently have no Weyrwoman. Hariko will arrange for your accomodations. Which are?"

"Well, sir, I have a weyrmate, Raylan. This might seem unusual, but the reason we wanted to come here, is because Kahrain Steppe weyr is fairly close to Landing. My husband, Raylan, is hoping to work at Landing on computers. In fact, we think he'll be living there and I'll be billeted here, until Thread stops falling. Then, I think, at least our plan is, we'll live at Landing together. So all I'll need for the time being is a simple weyr."

The two men thought about that. "So, in your free time, you'll be living at and flying to Landing?"

"That's the plan, sir, unless, of course, you don't want that. I will always be on call, I assume."

"As long as you fulfill your duties, for instance, sweep riding, I can't see any reason to forbid it. Although it is a novel situation, one I don't think I've ever heard of before."

"I have no problems with that, none at all, sir. Sirs. You can ask my Weyrleader at Telgar," she said.

"Ma'am, we already have. You come very highly regarded. He wasn't the happiest of men, I can assure you, to lose you."

"I got so tired of being cold all the time, sir," she said. 

"Well, your bones shall warm up here," M'rvin said, laughing. "We'll get a tan on you in no time."

"Anything else you might want to know, or want US to know?"

"None, sir except that, well…I have fire lizards. Three of them."

"THREE?"

"Aye, sir. I was out on a sweep duty, about a year ago, and we found the remnants of a fire lizard nest. Something had smashed the nest, and eaten almost all of the eggs. The queen was dead alongside it. There were three eggs left, I scooped them up and put them in my shirt. They hatched that night and, um….all three impressed on me."

"Well, THAT must be interesting," M'rvin said, "There are a few folks that have fire lizards here, and from what I gather, they can be……."

"Labor intensive? Possessive? Aye, sir, but they also are incredibly intelligent, just as loyal as a big dragon, and just fun to be with."

"Well," D'nis said, "I can't think of a reason why you shouldn’t be allowed to have three."

"If there's anything you need in the way of tack, let me know," M'rvin said.

"I will, sir," Francie said.

"Why don't you go down to the dining hall and join the going away party for Marais? Hariko will make it a welcoming one, as well," D'nis said. 

Francie smiled. "Thank you, sir, I think I will." She left.

D'nis nodded his head at M'rvin. Francie struck him as level headed and self assured. 

"First impressions? Good rider, with a level head. I think she'll fit in just fine," M'rvin said, jockeying the positions of his now increased number of greens in the wing formation in his head. Yes, yes, he knew just where to slot her. 

"Computers, eh? This could be a useful family to have," D'nis said. He knew nothing about computers, and felt himself a bit too old…and disinterested..to begin now. But he'd seen the value of them and of having some of the young bloods who could use them. 

"M'rvin, if you would, I'd appreciate it if…"

Then something hit them both. Something..hot..in their minds.

Mirth bloods a kill. She is going to rise to mate Corvuth, D'nis's bronze said.

D'nis and M'rvin both felt familiar stirrings.

He looked at M'rvin. The part of his mind that ruled him, that held the reins on his behavior was being battered by the blind urge to mate from his bronze dragon. Gold dragon Mirth was about to rise in a mating flight. Her rider, the competent Siena, was gentle and wise beyond her years. Thank the egg. Thank the egg, the weyr will have a mating and a Weyrwoman.

"Um….if you'll excuse me, sir," M'rvin said, distractedly, his face flushed.

"I understand." He felt it, too. He wanted to go to Siena's quarters and….

M'rvin rushed out. 

D'nis found himself up and walking blindly back and forth in the conference room, as if he were lost. Lost, in a maelstrom of unreasoning, blind lust. No. No. Not so soon after losing Danelle. His hormones might be roiling, but his heart was still grieving, still raw. Sometimes I hate this part of being a bronze rider. 

I….I am weary of being Weyrleader he said to his bronze.

I know. But I can't not go. I am a bronze dragon and she is a gold. It is what we do.

I know. Good luck. Whatever happens, happens.

D'nis went to his weyr…and tied himself to his bunk.


2 comments:

Broompuller said...

Odysseus? Having himself tied to the mast.

Khutulan said...

Good grief, talk about long buried memories. I'd forgotten about Odysseus. Good call!