19 July 2019

Chap 31 Daryat's decision


Chap. 31 Daryat's decision

"You wouldn't be the first woman to escape an abusive husband by coming to the weyr. It happens often. As long as one is willing to work, one is welcome. Eat, girl, eat. You're too thin."

Hariko pushed another meat roll at Daryat. The dining hall's crowd was thinning out.

Daryat shook her head, in relief. Yet her fears and worries clung.

"But still, I'm afraid," she said.

"OF COURSE you are. You've been with the man for twenty three years, it's what you're used to. Everyone is afraid of the unknown. There's even been instances where the man comes to the weyr to take the woman back, or worse, hurt her…even kill her. We don't let THAT happen. Ever."
 
Daryat had weighed her options. She felt guilty, leaving Mardriss at the cothold with his wife and a baby on the way…but it had come down to survival. Mardriss would never allow Hanliss to abuse his family.

The other problem was Glyena.

 "She doesn't want to leave. She's insistent, she refuses to go back to the cothold. I can understand why, there is nothing there for her other than the horses. And me…but I'm busy most of the day. She's a good girl but Hanliss has been picking on her for a year and it's showing. I was so humiliated by her treatment of the herder's people. I'd never seen it before yet I am sure it's been going on for a while. Her brothers had each other, but there are no girls, or children her age to be with.

She's my last child, and I'm letting her down. I've taught her as much as I'm able. She needs to have children her own age, she needs more education than I am capable of giving her. "

"So….foster her out."

Daryat hadn't thought of that. It felt…treasonous. It felt as if she were throwing the girl away rather than trying to work through her problems. But Pern folk did it all the time, for many reasons, this being just one. Children were encouraged to become independent, reliable Pernese citizens.  It was almost a given that Werywomen fostered their children out, to give them the best chance of becoming full-fledged, independent adults, with a parent that devoted more time than a Weyrwoman could.

"How…"

"How do you find someone to take her on?" Hariko looked at her, hard. "Well, by any chance do you know someone who, let's say, is the headwoman of a weyr?" She smiled.

Daryat laughed at her sarcasm. "Um…Well, I do know SOMEONE…"

"I know of a few folks here who have expressed an interest in taking on a foster. Men, too, foster, not just women.  Tell me, Glyena…she's 7? Does she have any special talents or interests?"

"She just adores animals. In fact, I think she could be an animal healer. She's very attentive to a kitten that isn't doing well, or a foal that won't nurse. She seems to be able to make them better,  just by loving on them," she said.

"We have a full complement of animal healers," Hariko said, musing, "but that's okay. She's only 7. I'm sure she'll have some skill that will provide useful, that we can help bring out."
She patted Daryat's hand.

"I feel…guilty. Like I'm giving up on her."

Hariko shook her head. "Is it better to subject her to growing up with constant abuse and criticism? Like Hanliss's treatment of you? Like your boys did? Girls take that abuse to heart, just like you have. Boys, they have ways to deflect it…not to say it doesn't affect them, it does, but boys are more likely to act out by fighting..or running away. Don't deny you haven't believed his abuse, I can see it. You are less the happy soul I grew up with, because of him. You HAVE, don't deny it."

Daryat's eyes filled. She so loved Hariko, for her kindness and her honesty, even if it hurt.

"She'll turn out like him. Pern does not need more Hanliss's. You weren't raised by a sod like Hanliss. Imagine how you would be if your father hadn't been such a good man."

Daryat felt tears sting her eyes. She missed her father so. He'd died so young. As had her mother, both succumbing to the epidemic when she was just 16.

"I was so stupid, Hariko, to fall for Hanliss. I've wasted so much of my life, trying to be what he wanted, and never succeeding."

"Nay, nay, my dear. Don't be like that. You were alone and afraid. He appeared strong to you. You needed someone. He's given you four good children. They are good people because of you-and despite him."

She paused, running her headwoman's eye over her smooth running kingdom.

"Glyena is young enough to be saved. Hanliss could have been much better man, but he wasn't. And never will be. He's flawed, like a rotted strap of leather.
You have done your job. Now it's time for Daryat to look out for Daryat."

The idea was so enticing, and yet she felt selfish..and responsible for her son and daughter in law. And the baby on the way.

"I worry about Mardriss's wife and the baby. I don't know if it's right to abandon them."

Hariko nodded. "Aye, there's the rub, isn't it? But you have time to think things through. Danelle almost always leaves these things up to me, that of taking people on, and I've already made my decision. You are welcome to stay here, whenever and forever."

"I'll need some time to think about it. I need to talk to Glyena. And Fland, who can't stay here, it's too painful for him. And Kandar I mean K'ndar."

"Tell you what. Why don't you go back to the cothold after the Gather. Talk to Mardriss. You can leave Glyena here, so she can see how she likes living here without her mum. If I've not found a foster for her, I'll keep her on for a while myself, but I don't think I'll have to.

She'll have to learn that she's here as Glyena a foster, NOT as K'ndar's sister. Sometimes kids change their minds about being fostered. We don't keep them chained, of course. They can go back home if they choose, but I can tell you, in the many years I've been here, I've not seen a foster go back more than two or three times.

 She'll have to know that it's not a double situation, though. Can't change her mind six, seven times. Not to worry, I have a person in mind who might just take Glyena on as a foster. Honestly, I think they'd make a good fit. I'll talk to her and see what she thinks, without any pressure. If she is interested, you can meet with her, then with Glyena, and the three of you make up your minds."

She poured more wine into their goblets. It wasn't Benden, but was still a nice vintage.

"You have time, Graduation is a five days from now. Gather is going to be delayed by two days,  right after Turnover,-they're flying Thread on Turnover! So you have time. If you decide, after talking to Mardriss, that you want to return here, send a message via sweep rider. Or Runner. I would be astonished if your son wouldn't be at your cothold as fast as his dragon can take him between."

"By the way," she said, "Your son, K'ndar? What a nice young man. I have had him take me to the Hold for supplies on two occasions. I need to go tomorrow. Would you like to come with me? I could use the help."

"I…I don't think I've ever been to a Market. Yes, I would, very much. How do we get there?" Daryat asked.

"Silly woman! By dragonback! I'm bet my boots your son would be happy to take you aboard his dragon. If he refuses…tell him Hariko  will make sure he NEVER gets a pie in THIS weyr, ever again."

Daryat laughed.

1 comment:

Broompuller said...

It'll be interesting to see where you go with this. Nicely told.