25 July 2019

Chap. 37 After the sale


Chap 37 After the sale

K'ndar was relieved to see Lizard's wagon and draft beasts parked in his usual spot in the shade. A man was walking off from the wagon carrying a new saddle. Lizard was holding a large sword. He grinned at K'ndar.

"Want to barter for a sword, my lad?"

K'ndar shook his head. "Never handled one. I'd probably cut my leg off with it."

The other man laughed. "Aye, but this thing's so sharp, you'd never feel it."

He very carefully put it down, saying, "Whilst you were in the market, I looked at the dragons. Which one is yours?"

"Raventh. The smaller of the two browns."

Lizard's face twisted momentarily. "He's a fine one, lad. Very refined. If he were a horse, I'd bet on him at the races."

K'ndar remembered the other saying he'd been Searched but had given up on being Impressed. Now he was too old. That, obviously, was still a wound in his heart.

"Where are your fire lizards?"

"Playing with the dragons."

When are we going to get a fire lizard? I like these but they are impressed on that human by the horses Raventh asked, entranced.

Now that I have marks, maybe soon!

"I want to thank you, sir, for….rescuing me from that vendor. I hadn't a clue what to do there," he said, sitting down next to the man. Lizard offered him a beer, but K'ndar refused.

Lizard laughed. "Aye, I know that, my lad. T'was as plain as the wings on a dragon. They were tracking you the moment you started yelling.  They about had you roped and tied, they did."

"They? You mean, they work together?"

"Oh, aye, that's an old, old strategy we traders have used for a thousand years. One sets up the victim with an unreasonable offer, or intimidates him, then the other, a "helpful" "stranger'' comes up to yank the snare.  Beween the two of 'em they sets you up like a wherry in a trap. Usually, you don't stand a chance."

One of the fire lizards swooped around the man, chortling, then returned to play with Raventh.

"Let me guess. She pulled you aside after the deal, wanted you to buy her some wine and meet a 'friend', who was going to give you a lot more money for that choker on your neck, yes?"

K'ndar shuddered. "Yes, and she was horny as a rising green, had her hands all over me. First going for my pockets, then trying for this necklace."

Lizard laughed again. "Aye, same old trick. You would have bought all the wine, more and more, til you were drunk, then she and her 'friend', probably the same bloke as at the market, would come up behind you and 'put you to bed'-meaning knock you in the head, leave you somewhere, sick and soreheaded and without a mark. Sometimes they even steal a man's boots. Happens all the time, and they pull it on young dragon riders often. You all are too easily fooled. Too honorable."

K'ndar growled. "How do they get away with that?"

"They keep moving, lad. This is the first time I've seen them here at Singing Waters Hold. They don't know me-I keep my distance from shysters, as they seem to spread their stench worse than a trundlebug, but I've seen these two work their 'trade' before. They've a reputation amongst traders, all bad.  They go all over Pern. Even North. Tell you how bad they are: I think the reason they seldom come here is because they defrauded some raiders out here, who've put out the word that the next time they meet them will be their last time. I have a good idea what that entails, and frankly, I wouldn't lift a finger to prevent it."


"Well, thank you again," K'ndar said. A thought hit him. He pulled the marks from his pocket.
"I've never had marks in my life. I doubt I would have this if it weren't for you.  This should go to you. At least, some of it."

Lizard looked at him thoughtfully for several moments.

"K'ndar, now I know you are Sandriss's brother. He has the same generosity, the same selflessness, the same…oh, that Ancient term, 'noblesse oblige"? Yes.  That comes from way back.

Nay, lad, that is YOUR income. YOU did the work. I just kept you from being shorn like a lamb by those two shysters. I can't stand a cheat, and those two are known all over Southern for their thieving ways.

But I tell you, lad, you're no trader. Nay, not like your brother. He's sharp as a knife and would never have fallen for their tricks. And, K'ndar, it was great fun for me.  I enjoyed it. It was fun. I love letting a conman stick his head in his own snare and then cutting it off for him.  I could hardly keep from laughing." He rocked back, laughing again.

"You, my lad, played your part to perfection. Were you not a dragon rider, I'd insist you join us. We'd have a great time, using you as bait, fleecing the fleecers."

"You give me too much credit. I wasn't playing a part. That was all real me," K'ndar said, ruefully.

"Precisely my point!" he said.

"But I would like to propose a business contract with you, should you be willing. It will make you some marks, if you like. No pressure, you understand--Sandriss would have me guts for garters were I to take advantage of you. And he's the best partner I've ever had. I'm not willing to chance that."

"What's a 'contract?" K'ndar asked. It was the second time he'd heard the term.

"It's a business agreement. Both sides create and agree to abide by rules. He who breaks them loses everything."

"Here's the deal. You make necklaces, just like the ones you sold today. You give them to me. I sell them for you and charge you 10% commission for every one I sell. That gives you 90% of the income for your work and ten percent for me for my work."

"But…but…I usually haven't a lot of time. I worked for a month, just to get those two made. I'm a dragon rider."

"Aye, I know. No pressure, lad, none. If and when you make one, two, whatever, I'll sell 'em. You needn't know how to haggle, or deal with shysters."

It was a good idea, he thought. He remembered the man's willingness to cheat him, and the woman coming on to him, running her hands all over his torso, trying to get the money or the choker. There'd been no empathy in them. He'd merely been prey, like a young wherry ambushed by dragons.

He trusted Lizard. "Okay. Deal, but I can't promise when I'll have another. I owe one to Terylin, and  I can't take too much hair from a horse's tail."

"No worries, lad. None a'tall. So what have you planned for the marks?"

"Saving for a fire lizard, of course. Raventh wants one, too, he bothers me every time he sees one."

"Aye, my pair, they love the dragons. But K'ndar, you already have a lizard."

"I do?"

"I don't make promises that I can't keep. I told you last time you were here your brother would gift you a lizard egg. Can't guarantee what sex or color, though."

"But…"

An inscrutable expression flashed across his face.

"Sandriss said his queen laid a good clutch a while ago. He's already promised you an egg. Now whether he sells them all aforehand, I can't say…we make good money selling them. I might be the one to transfer it, don't know how, just yet. But we'll get you one, not to worry. I'd give you one, my lad, but my queen has just finished, and they take a while to recharge. Besides, it's how I earn a living…and Sandriss INSISTED you get one from him."

K'ndar sighed, accepting the inevitable wait.
"How will you know I have a necklace ready?"

Lizard pointed at a symbol on his wagon. "See that symbol?"

"Yes."

"It's the same method used as dragonstones. You visualize the image into your lizard's eyes and he knows where to go between. Sandriss has the exact same icon on his wagon. That's how we stay in touch-fire lizards. They can carry small loads--hmmm. Let me see that choker, the one on your neck."


K'ndar, wondering, removed and handed it to Lizard. The man squeaked and little bronze appeared.

"Can you carry this, my little wing?" he asked the bronze.

The bronze, hovering, examined it, then chirped and grasped it. He flew in large circles overhead, squeaking.

"Between?" Lizard asked.

The bronze vanished, then re-appeared, chortling. He hovered over them, still holding the choker.

"This is K'ndar. Can you give it to K'ndar?"

The bronze looked at Lizard, head bent to one side, eyes whirling an uncertain amber. He wasn't sure what was wanted.

Want me to tell him what to do? Raventh asked. He'd been eavesdropping.

Please

The bronze suddenly went blue eyed, and enthusiastically threw the necklace at K'ndar's head, chirping excitedly. K'ndar caught it and replaced it on his neck. The bronze flew around, waiting for applause.

"Ahhhhhh, you're the clever one, aren't you," Lizard said, giving an arm to the bronze.

 WELL DONE, little one! Raventh added.

He gave the bronze's head a soft scratching. "That's the quickest I've ever seen him pick up on a stranger," Lizard said.

"Raventh told him what to do."

Lizard slapped his forehead. "By the egg, I'd forgotten that dragons can talk to lizards.  This could be useful."

VERY useful, he thought, his mind racing through the possibilities.  Having a dragon in the 'family'--whoa. "Ask Raventh to call him. And my gold."

Were you listening?


 Yes. They got here the moment I asked them to come. They understand his words but they don't talk like you and I do. The queen likes me, the bronze is the  typical possessive bronze. I told him his gold is his

Tell him you prefer greens

Raventh laughed.

K'ndr grinned at Lizard. "They got it!"

"So now, they know each other and they know you. Once you have your lizard, train him to go to Raventh, and my wagon. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to make a dragonstone like mine, or, even use the Weyr's. Until then, have Raventh call mine, and they'll transport any necklaces you've made to me. I send marks back the same way."

Go home now? I'm hungry Raventh asked.

We have to wait a little.  Soon as Mum and Hariko return, and D'mitran, are done with business, we'll pack up and go home

He reached over and shook Lizard's hand.

"How can I thank you?"

Lizard laughed.

"You just did."


1 comment:

Broompuller said...

Some nice modifications on these last two from the original versions. This could lead to some interesting things later.