27 July 2019

Chap. 41 The Gather and the Horse Race


Chap. 41  The Gather and the Horse Race

The day after the Weyr flew against thread, the Turnover (year's end and beginning) Gather took place.

K'ndar had never seen so many people. There were vendors of all sorts, selling everything from laying hens to playing cards. Jugglers and puppetmasters put on shows for the children. There were games to play, tents set up for those who wanted a beer or wine, food of all descriptions.

He didn't linger at the cattle show, was intrigued, at least for a little while, by the sheep shearing competition,  but thoroughly enjoyed the herding trials! The dogs were amazing, proving to be as intelligent as a dragon, in some ways. The best dogs hardly needed a whistle to know what the shepherd wanted. 

He wandered through it, sometimes meeting up with his  family, sometimes without.
The best part, though, were the horse races.

Glyena on Jordan was entered in the Open to All Comers division. Daryat was concerned when K'ndar had brought it up the night before, but Glyena was adamant, once again. 

"Mum. I will be okay. I've ridden fast before, even bareback. I can do this, please, Mum, it's important," she said, "and we're going to win."

"I'd like to think that, sweetheart, but there are people in the race who've been doing this for a long time."

"It's okay, Mum. Even if I don't win, I think it will be fun," she said, patting her mother's hand.
The next day, after several races, the "Open to All" race was up.

Jordan looked small against some of the other horses. Glyena was solid in the saddle on his back, looking nervous. 

"Care to make a bet, my lad?"

He looked to his side. Terylin, the potter, was there, with Putzu, her green fire lizard on her shoulder. 

"I am so glad to see you! I heard you would be here, and I have a choker necklace for you."
He pulled it from his pocket and handed it to her.

"Thank you, for the pot. I gave it to my mum, last night. She's  right over there, I think, after the race, she'd love to talk to you," he said.

Terylin examined the necklace.

"This is beautiful, K'ndar, just perfect. I love how you interwove a…what is this, malachite? stone into it as a  clasp. How did you drill the hole? Oh, I see…it's natural. How clever! The color is beautiful. It contrasts so nicely, the weave and the stone against the chestnut. Thank you."

"As for the bet, well, I don't have a bit of money, and quite honestly, no brains for betting.  Besides, that's my little sister on the grey. I can't bet against her, now can I?"

Terylin looked at the gelding, prancing at the starting cable. He was nervous at all the new horses, the noise, the crowds. Glyena soothed him, crooning softly. She was nervous, too, but kept it to herself.

"I like the looks of him. I don't bet either, I just said that to open the conversation. But were I betting, I'd bet on him and your sister. He's just got that-look of dragons."

Look of dragons. What an amazing description, he thought.

Daryat came up to them. 

"Mum, I would like you to meet Terylin, the potter. She made the pot I gave to you."

"Terylin, this is my mother, Daryat. She's here to see me graduate and to enjoy the Gather."
The two women shook hands.

"I LOVE the pot. It's so cunning, so beautiful. I would love to talk to you, but..my daughter is in this race," Daryat said, "would you mind if I were to wait until afterwards?"

"Of course," Terylin said, "I'm just like you, I want to see her win."

Putzu, her green fire lizard, squawked, unhappy. Her eyes whirled orange. She was a bit afraid of the big crowds.

"May I pet her?" Daryat asked, "we heard the funniest story about her."

Terylin looked at Putzu's eyes.

"There's no mean in her, none, but she's pretty anxious right now. Maybe after the race, we can find a nice spot to sit and talk, she should be calmer then.  Putzu, be a dear and wait for me at our wagon?"

The green whimpered. She opened her wings but was unsure.

"She could go be with Raventh," K'ndar said, "He's keeping an eye on a fire lizard egg staying warm in my weyr. Would she go?"

Terylin smiled. "That would be nice, then, after the race, you and I, Daryat, can chat."

Raventh, would you like Putzu's company?

Of course. All the greens love me, even fire lizards. I already have Sandriss's pair here.

How is the egg?

It's an egg. It does nothing. But it's warm and dry. Don't worry. The queen is keeping watch on it. It's hers, after all.

Thank you, my brother

Putzu suddenly straightened up, cheeped, and vanished.

"Maybe I could go into business with Raventh: Fire lizard babysitting service," he said.

They found a spot near the finish line. Sandriss, his family and Fland were on the other side ot he course. They exchanged waves.

They could see the horses on the track, milling about. Jordan looked nervous. Nyala was giving Glyena last minute advice.  

Two men beside him were arguing.

"Nay, don't be daft, not the grey. It's just a little girl riding. Maybe you can go with the bald face. Me, I like that skinny chestnut, he's got speed to spare, that's the one my money's on."

"Ah, maybe you're right, but I still like the looks of the grey."

"Suit yourself, cobber, you've already lost. You might want to pay up right now."

"Go on, it's not even run yet. Give her a chance, what?"

Just then, the call to post came. Eight horses lined up to the starting rope. The crowd quieted. 

Glyena took a tight hold of the reins. Nyala had given her several pointers on how to ride in a race. The most important one was Don’t fall off!

"I won't. I know how Jordan is, he jumps like a dragon at first. Then he settles down."

The gelding, puzzled by the abnormally firm hold Glyena had on his mouth, tossed his head. Something was about to happen.

"Nose on the cable, riders. You there, on the bald face, yes you..don't push on t'rope, man, that's cheating. Just set t'nose on it." The offender backed his horse up just a tad, so that the horse's nose was on the cable.

"On your mark……….."

The starter waited until all feet were on the ground.

"GO!" he cried,the cable flying up above the horse's heads.

The horses broke in a confused mass. The bald face reared instead of leaping forward, dumping his rider. Those who had bet on him groaned.

Glyena saw nothing but horse tails. Dirt clods were thrown into her face. Jordan tossed his head, trying to avoid being pelted. She held him in, making him wait, to keep dirt out of their faces. She felt him on the bit, giving and taking without releasing, feeling his resistance fading as he began to understand. She was as new to racing as he was, but she'd ridden him flat out many times, and was familiar with his way of running.

The mass of horses ran in a compact pack, until the skinny chestnut broke away and took the lead. For several lengths he was alone, then a rangy bay took the challenge and took the rail, coming up inside the leader. They battled for the lead, first one ahead, then the other.

 Glyena was dead last.

Oh, Daryat thought, she's going to lose.  But she still kept calling encouragement, her voice lost in the ocean of shouts from the spectators. It would be okay. Glyena was the youngest rider in the race, as well as the only girl. It was okay, win or lose. 

"Ride him, sis, you've got the horse!!" K'ndar yelled, doubting that she or the horse could hear.

Uncharacteristically, Jordan held back.

It's the dirt, she thought, he doesn't want it in his face.

She aimed Jordan to the outside, giving him plenty of room.

The crowd was yelling as she passed them, but she heard nothing but her horse's breathing and the pounding of his hooves…and her heart.

Jordan pulled. She was balanced, part of him. 

He caught up with the last horse in the pack, who had slowed considerably, and passed him.

"Carry on, lassie, my boy is done," the rider gasped.

Jordan turned his head to give the failing horse the stink eye. Out of my way, laggard.
She touched him on the bit, calling him back. To me, Jordan, listen to me. But he'd suddenly understood that he was in a race. I can do this. I can do this. Let me run. He begged for his head. She let him have it

He responded by accelerating. The wind whistled in her ears. His long mane whipped her in the face. 

"He's flying," she thought, "he's going faster than ever." It was…exhilarating. Go go go!!

He passed the pack and came up just behind the chestnut. The bay looked at him from across the chestnut's quarters. Jordan kept coming. He came up on the chestnut's right side. The chestnut's eye met his and Jordan glared back. For several strides they were even, the chestnut pushing hard. The finish line was coming up much too fast. Glyena kissed at Jordan and he surged ahead of the chestnut, to win by a head.

The spectators roared.

The man nearest to K'ndar was yelling with joy. "I knew it, I knew it!"  His friend looked unbelieving, but was dutifully digging in his pocket to pay the bet.

Glyena continued on around the track at a slower canter, Jordan breathing hard, but exultant. He knew he'd won.

When she saw her family pouring onto the track, she stood in the irons and yelled, "MUM!! We won!!" 

She trotted up to them and brought Jordan to a halt. K'ndar took him by the headstall and patted his wet neck.  "GOOD lad, well done!" Nyala came out, patted Glyena's arm as she began to dismount.

"PERFECT run, Glyena, you did it exactly right!" Jordan wheeled around, still full of run. Glyena whooped in joy. 

"Mum! We won!" She yelled, looking for her mother.

 She jumped off the horse and gave Nyala a big hug. "Thank you, thank you, that was SO MUCH FUN! Do you have another horse you need a rider for?"







1 comment:

Broompuller said...

Very good. I love the horse race.